Jan 18, 2014
It was suggested to me in a reply that I open a thread to get support from the entire community.

I want to set up MoCA in my house, and I want to do it right the first time. I'd be interested in seeing what equipment works.

Here is my situation. I have Cox Cable, because they are the only game in town. I cancelled Cable TV a couple of years ago, because it was just getting to expensive. Now I have 100mb service only. I want to get off wifi and use the existing coax, for the speed and security that it offers. My wifi cameras might also thank me if I free up some of that wifi bandwidth.

My house has a Cox box on the outside. In this box are roughly seven coax cables that lead to each room in the house. There isn't any sort of junction box inside the house.

About 8-10 years ago, Cox replaced a 9-portish splitter with a 3-port splitter to resolve some bandwidth issues. One of those three connected cables goes to my cable modem, and the other two go to the TVs, but are unused.

Most of the descriptions that I have read show the cables as splitting inside the house. I'm wondering how best to hook this up when the coax terminates outside the house, and how I power it. If necessary, I do have a weatherproof powerbox on the outside of the house within about 20 feet of the Cox box, so I could potentially run power that way. I am considering getting professional help to do the drilling through stucco if needed, and make sure everything is wired up correctly.

I can't figure out how to attach a photo. The insert image seems to want an http: link somewhere.
APwAaxM.jpg

Last edited:
So this will be pretty easy actually since you have a box outside and all the cables there too.

The concepts are this--you will need to inject the moca signal into that cabling and then have moca adapters everywhere you want a 'wired' connection.

So to inject the moca, you need to make sure your splitters wil split the moca to all the rooms without interfering with it. So first step--check the existing splitter for moca compatibility.

If you know which lines you won't be using, that can be a help as you won't have to connect them.

Once you your coax wires connected together, you need install the moca adapter inside the house to inject the moca signal into the coax wiring. Then all you have to do is add moca adapters where you need them and you are done.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution