Question Modding extension cables

HonestBob

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
I've got a modular psu with black cables. My new case is white and I'm wanting to convert the psu cables to white as well. I'm ordering a set of Cablemod extension cables but have a thought. Shouldn't I be able to swap out the plug on one end so I can plug the extensions right in to the psu? I have the pin removal tools and I've swapped the plug ends out before on other psu with custom color ones years ago without a problem. I can't think that there's something else in the plugs nowadays besides the wires themselves.

Anyone does this before? Answers I'm getting elsewhere amount to people too afraid to try it. I can't be the only person who, 15-20 years ago was sleeving my own cables and replacing plugs with UV reactive ones because it was the thing to do.

Lutfij

Titan
Shouldn't I be able to swap out the plug on one end so I can plug the extensions right in to the psu?
I'd stick to sleeved extensions or a custom set of wires starting from the PSU's end instead of going half and half('ish, for lack of a better term).

Make and mode of your PSU and it's age? You should also consider not tampering with the stock cables since there are instances where you need to send the whole box during an RMA(otherwise they can pin the blame on a bad PSU to improper use by the end-user).

I actually sleeve my own cables, nothing less than MDPC-X stuff. Pleased to meet another cablesleever on this community! ;)

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
I would be very wary about any such conversions,

Especially if the requirement is simply vanity or aesthetics.

Not a matter of being "afraid" per se - extremely cautious would be more applicable.

Things are not made to be DIY etc. as they once were. And it is becoming more and more a bit of a gamble to order replacement parts and cables.

More likely to be wrong, defective, low quality - goal is to ship the order and to make money. Not necessarily to ensure that the order is correct.

You may might order a white cable intended for PSU X but receive a white cable for PSU Y.

May not end well. Difficult to prove that the received cable is actually correct, Or that you did not do something wrong during the conversion process.

Sure, in a pinch, where there is nothing to lose then conversions may be worth the effort.

= = = =

If the system is running well then leave things alone. No need to add in some new variable.

Forget about the cable colors: black or white you will probably not notice one way or another after some time has passed.

Save the money and avoid the risks.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

HonestBob

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
The easiest thing would be to just add the extensions, I admit. The PSU is a three year old EVGA supernova 650 and it's full modular. It's just going to drive me nuts adding that extra cabling into the back of the case after getting it all set up. I have no doubt that I can switch the pins from one ATX plug to another without mixing them up and I would assume that as long as the wiring in the extensions are of good quality, there wouldn't be any issues. I don't know. I'm on the fence at this point.