[SOLVED] Modem and Router have internet, but all devices, both hardwired and wifi, are frequently loosing connection

Jul 16, 2020
Hey all,

Title says it all. About once an hour, all of my devices are loosing internet connection for 5-15min. This includes a pc that is connected directly to the router via eathernet. Both my modem and router show that they are connected to the internet.

I thought it might be a router issue so I brought my router home from the office. Same problem.

I've done a hard reset of my router and have power cycled everything several times.

Any ideas?

Solution
I feel like this is the first step of a lot of great advice. But I'm not sure what to do with it.

What should I be looking for from the LEDs? Blinking pattern? They are the same color as normal.

I should bring my modem outside? What for? Obviously that isn't a permentant solution. Sorry, network issues are way above my head.

I went to that ip address and it did bring up a status page for the modem... What should I be looking for on this page?
Start by reading the cable modem users manual -- https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3000_Series/4030802_C.pdf
That will give you detailed information about the LEDs.
The status screen will show you signal levels --...
If you have the same problem with two different routers, then the issue is likely with the modem. I'd contact your ISP if your modem is leased through them and explain the problem and ask for a technician to come and test it. If it belongs to you, as mine does, then I'd probably simply replace it.

How old (How long in service) IS your current cable modem and what is the model?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all,

Title says it all. About once an hour, all of my devices are loosing internet connection for 5-15min. This includes a pc that is connected directly to the router via eathernet. Both my modem and router show that they are connected to the internet.

I thought it might be a router issue so I brought my router home from the office. Same problem.

I've done a hard reset of my router and have power cycled everything several times.

Any ideas?
Next time it happens see what the LEDs on the modem and router look like. That can tell you a lot.
Then you need to eliminate the in-house wiring. You need to connect your modem with a dedicated cable (ethernet for DSL or coax for cable) to the outside of the house where the ISP service terminates.
If you have a cable modem, many of them have a status page at 192.168.100.1 -- Try it with a browser.

Jul 16, 2020
If you have the same problem with two different routers, then the issue is likely with the modem. I'd contact your ISP if your modem is leased through them and explain the problem and ask for a technician to come and test it. If it belongs to you, as mine does, then I'd probably simply replace it.

How old (How long in service) IS your current cable modem and what is the model?

We've had this Modem for four years. It's a Cisco DPC3010. I'm happy to buy a new one if that would solve the problem.

Jul 16, 2020
Next time it happens see what the LEDs on the modem and router look like. That can tell you a lot.
Then you need to eliminate the in-house wiring. You need to connect your modem with a dedicated cable (ethernet for DSL or coax for cable) to the outside of the house where the ISP service terminates.
If you have a cable modem, many of them have a status page at 192.168.100.1 -- Try it with a browser.

I feel like this is the first step of a lot of great advice. But I'm not sure what to do with it.

What should I be looking for from the LEDs? Blinking pattern? They are the same color as normal.

I should bring my modem outside? What for? Obviously that isn't a permentant solution. Sorry, network issues are way above my head.

I went to that ip address and it did bring up a status page for the modem... What should I be looking for on this page?

kanewolf

Titan

Start by reading the cable modem users manual -- https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3000_Series/4030802_C.pdf
The status screen will show you signal levels -- https://pickmymodem.com/signal-levels-docsis-3-03-1-cable-modem/
They should generally be around 0dB -3 to +7 optimally for each of the downlink channels. The signal to noise ratio should be high. The bigger the number the better.
The upstream channels you want a lower power output level. 40dB would be a good ballpark.

Solution
Jul 16, 2020
The status screen will show you signal levels -- https://pickmymodem.com/signal-levels-docsis-3-03-1-cable-modem/
They should generally be around 0dB -3 to +7 optimally for each of the downlink channels. The signal to noise ratio should be high. The bigger the number the better.
The upstream channels you want a lower power output level. 40dB would be a good ballpark.

Thanks!