Modem or Router Issue

lambchop42

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I am not entirely sure where the issue lies, whether it be my Xfinity modem or my Cisco router. I am only slightly educated on matters of connection but I will give as much details of the problem as I can.

I can browse the internet just fine on my Windows 7. Netflix and Youtube streaming OK. But if I try to connect to things like the iTunes store from my iTunes application, or access the League of Legends servers to play, or any other sort of internet access-requiring, miscellaneous activity from anything other than a web browser, and I get nothing. Furthermore, the most frustrating issue is I can't hook up my new PS3 to the internet/wifi to play or buy games, nor can I access wifi on my smartphones (only on occasion can the phones acquire wifi.

Above are the limitations I wish to conquer, and below are any details I can think of to help solve the problem.

Xfinity modem, I don't know which one.
Cisco Linksys E1200 router.
Blinking amber light on ethernet port on the back of modem.
I've restored factory settings on router to no avail.
I've tried all the ipconfig/ options

Can this be fixed by simply purchasing a new router?

Solution
First, reboot your modem, and disconnect the router. Next, plug directly into the modem with a cable, and see if the internet is working. Run Speedtest, and see what speeds you are getting, and are they what you are paying for.

If the modem is not working properly, call your ISP and have them fix it as you will not be able to.

If the modem is working, than you need a new router, which I am guessing is the most likely scenario.
First, reboot your modem, and disconnect the router. Next, plug directly into the modem with a cable, and see if the internet is working. Run Speedtest, and see what speeds you are getting, and are they what you are paying for.

If the modem is not working properly, call your ISP and have them fix it as you will not be able to.

If the modem is working, than you need a new router, which I am guessing is the most likely scenario.

Solution