Question Modem question

Aug 14, 2023
With my internet provider, I have Cisco DPC3941T modem with wifi. The provider charges a bunch monthly for this modem. I can fine the same modem online for a huge saving. My question is, if I go with my own owned modem, instead of the providers modem, what sort of configuration issues would I have.

The modem I have now is hard wired into a Eero Pro model 8100113 box. I assume that all of my wireless connections are tied to the Eero box and not the wifi in the cable modem.

Looking forward to any and all answers.

Thanks

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Ask your ISP see if they allow you to use your own unit first. You also need to find out what brand/model are compatible. Some ISP will have a list. Better buy one that's on the list. If it's not on the list, when a problem surfaces, your ISP likely to blame it's your equipment.

Then you have to call your ISP when you swap out the rented unit and give them the WAN MAC address of the new router.

Like 5th photo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/135049328861?itmmeta=01J54CFWVGHZRYTMYBNNXB4D5X

If you replace the rented one with same model, no other changes have to be made, except wifi connections.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
With my internet provider, I have Cisco DPC3941T modem with wifi. The provider charges a bunch monthly for this modem. I can fine the same modem online for a huge saving. My question is, if I go with my own owned modem, instead of the providers modem, what sort of configuration issues would I have.

The modem I have now is hard wired into a Eero Pro model 8100113 box. I assume that all of my wireless connections are tied to the Eero box and not the wifi in the cable modem.

Looking forward to any and all answers.

Thanks
First that Cisco is a router unless you have had your provider put it into bridge mode.
You will be better off getting a modem ONLY device. Your Eero system is already a router.
Your ISP should have a webpage with a list of supported modems based on the speed of the plan you have with them. Pick one from the list that supports your ISP speed. Post that choice to this thread and we can confirm or correct your pick.

Reactions: bill001g