Question asus xt8 zenwifi cuts speed of downloads by at least half with qos, without qos still 17-20%, xfinity comcast?

markm75

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
For months i've noticed that my download speeds with comcast were no where near 800 (and now i have gigabit as well), always around 450 mbps or so. I assumed it was an issue with comcast and even had techs out.

Today i tried something, i took the router out of the picture and connected directly to my pc, i was around 1025 mbps every time, no issue.

So then i reconnected tested again, still 450. I looked in the settings and realized i had qos on, i turned it off, now the speeds are more like 850 to 900 (especially if you use the tool in the router admin area), but can avg 799 or so when using online checkers (the same checker that said 1025 direct connect).

I then tried toggling other settings in the router and couldnt find one to give back that missing ~17% or so.
When i did the 2nd router test after qos was off, i checked traffic for wifi and other things and found it was minimal or none, so that wasnt part of the pull.

Anyone else noticed this issue, or found a work around, or is the qos halving normal, is the 18% overhead without qos enabled also normal? (i also tried other ethernet cables that go from the router to the cable modem to no avail, im using cat6 as well).

Thanks in advance