Question Modem & router advice

jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I’m replacing my RCN-issued gateway. Of course, little works with RCN, so my options have come down to two:

1. Arris S33 modem with TP-Link AX21 router

2. Arris G36 Modem/Router

Each setup will end up costing me about the same.

I know the conventional wisdom is that two components are better than a combo device, but my understanding is that in gateways, it’s usually the router part that’s deficient - it lacks range - but I live in an apartment so I’m not concerned about that.

I also never have more than a couple of devices using the system at once, and usually just one. I may start WiFi streaming TV while also streaming on the MacBook, but that would be the extent of it.

My internet speed is 600 Mbps, but it was part of a promo; I’ll probably go down to 300.

Has anyone had experience with these devices?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I’m replacing my RCN-issued gateway. Of course, little works with RCN, so my options have come down to two:

1. Arris S33 modem with TP-Link AX21 router

2. Arris G36 Modem/Router

Each setup will end up costing me about the same.

I know the conventional wisdom is that two components are better than a combo device, but my understanding is that in gateways, it’s usually the router part that’s deficient - it lacks range - but I live in an apartment so I’m not concerned about that.

I also never have more than a couple of devices using the system at once, and usually just one. I may start WiFi streaming TV while also streaming on the MacBook, but that would be the extent of it.

My internet speed is 600 Mbps, but it was part of a promo; I’ll probably go down to 300.

Has anyone had experience with these devices?
A physically separate modem and router allow you to choose ANY router.

What does the ISP recommend for 600m plans and the 300mbps plan.

Both those units are docsis 3.1 which is the newest tech and the most expensive. It is generally used on 1gbit plans. If the ISP supports docsis 3.0 devices for the plans you are interested in it might be a bit cheaper. The tplink router you are pairing with ariss s33 is much inferior to the router part of the combined g36.

Not that it matters a lot unless you have fancy end devices it will not be able to use the extra data encoding supported by the g36. Most end device like tv and cell phones match the tplink much closer. You will not get 600mbps speed on wifi but you could get 300.

So your idea to drop your plan back when the discount expires is likely a good idea since you can't really use it over wifi anyway.

It is surprising that even very fancy routers drop in price over time but cable modems seem to only increase.

Reactions: 35below0

jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Every source I read recommends 3.1, though - and the handful of devices that will work with RCN are all 3.1.

jeyges

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Thank you all for your replies. I went with the Arris modem and TP-Link router, although I'm going to switch out the router. It's larger than I realized from the pictures and hideously ugly. I don't want it on top of the furniture. (I ordered it because it was Cnet's recommendation for a budget router, Wirecutter recommended the model just below it, and Amazon had it on sale for $70.)