Question Modem, router, switch setup

CHANGEDUDEUSF

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
I currently have a modem, router switch setup. Is there a reason I can't go Modem, switch, router? Hotwire is unwilling to do that. I would like my wifi to reach a different part of the house. That is why I would like to move the router and change to Modem, switch, router.

USAFRet

Titan
I currently have a modem, router switch setup. Is there a reason I can't go Modem, switch, router? Hotwire is unwilling to do that. I would like my wifi to reach a different part of the house. That is why I would like to move the router and change to Modem, switch, router.
It needs to be Modem -> router -> switch.

The modem (and ISP) serves up one and only one IP address.
Normally, that would be the router.

The router then serves up many internal IP addresses. Wired or WiFi.

If you had the switch first, the modem would see whatever device is attached to the switch. And only that one device.

CHANGEDUDEUSF

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
It needs to be Modem -> router -> switch.

The modem (and ISP) serves up one and only one IP address.
Normally, that would be the router.

The router then serves up many internal IP addresses. Wired or WiFi.

If you had the switch first, the modem would see whatever device is attached to the switch. And only that one device.

Any suggestions on how to reach the part of the house that is not covered? A better router, a second router, an extended, something else?

USAFRet

Titan
Any suggestions on how to reach the part of the house that is not covered? A better router, a second router, an extended, something else?
In relation to the whole house, where is the modem and router currently?
Quite often, poor WiFi signal in one part of the house is due to poor placement of the WiFi source, the router.

Or, powerline or MOCA devices to pump the ethernet signal through house wiring or coax.

CHANGEDUDEUSF

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
In relation to the whole house, where is the modem and router currently?
Quite often, poor WiFi signal in one part of the house is due to poor placement of the WiFi source, the router.

Or, powerline or MOCA devices to pump the ethernet signal through house wiring or coax.

Its a two story house. The modem and router are on the first story on the far east side. Trying to get WIFI to the second story on the far west side.

What about using a modem router combination in one single device? I previously lived in a far bigger two story house that had a modem router combination in one single device. It was able to provide good WIFI coverage to the entire house. I do not understand why the separate modem and router that I currently have in a smaller house can not do the same.

USAFRet

Titan
Its a two story house. The modem and router are on the first story on the far east side. Trying to get WIFI to the second story on the far west side.

What about using a modem router combination in one single device? I previously lived in a far bigger two story house that had a modem router combination in one single device. It was able to provide good WIFI coverage to the entire house. I do not understand why the separate modem and router that I currently have in a smaller house can not do the same.
Your current devices, if they were near the center of the house, would probably cover it all.

And every house is different. The exact same devices might work well in House A, and not so much in House B.