[SOLVED] Modem router

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
my modem is capped at 700m mbps. I have a plan of 1000mbps. Can i buy a seperate router that can support 1gig speeds and run 1 gig with an ethernet cord connected to the router? Im thinking that if my modem is capped, then my router will be capped because it is connected to it. Someone, help!

edit: I have a modem router sorry!

Last edited:
Solution
You will need a new modem if you want to get your advertised speeds from your ISP. A DOCSIS 3.0 device will cap out at 1.4 gb/s. It's better to get a DOCSIS 3.1 device for speeds over 1 gb/s. Your ISP should have a list of modems that would achieve this or provide one for purchase/rent.

Simply replacing the router won't do anything for internet speeds.
Personally, I use an Arris Surfboard SB8200 and a separate router.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
You will need a new modem if you want to get your advertised speeds from your ISP. A DOCSIS 3.0 device will cap out at 1.4 gb/s. It's better to get a DOCSIS 3.1 device for speeds over 1 gb/s. Your ISP should have a list of modems that would achieve this or provide one for purchase/rent.

Simply replacing the router won't do anything for internet speeds.
Personally, I use an Arris Surfboard SB8200 and a separate router.

Last edited:
Solution
Even if you're paying for 1Gbps, you are getting "up to 1Gbps". Again - what is that application which needs full 1Gbps, and not "miserable" 15% less?
I know it is "up to" 1Gbps, but in this case the person said they were only getting 700Mbps. What application needs 1Gbps, maybe they are hosting a dedicated game server. More bandwidth always helps with that. Could be the connection is shared amongst 20 people.

So could i buy a router to get max speeds on ethernet or should i buy a new modem router combo to get full speeds? (modem router is expensive)
This has been answered a hundred times, the MODEM part of your modem/router governs the speed out to the internet, the other ports on the back of the unit are 10/1000 ports (1Gbe) anything connected to these ports will have a maximum speed of 1Gbe.......anything connected to those ports routing out to the internet is restricted by the WAN port (modem) in your case 700Mbps