Question modem speed problem

Rroman1159

Prominent
Jan 18, 2023
Greetings... I'm new here and I have a question that I would like you to help me with. I have a motorola arris surfboard shg6782 modem recently changed the offer from the cable company from 200mb to 400mb. When doing speed tests I see that it does not exceed 260mb and I called the cable company and they came and verified everything and it was fine but the 400mb has not yet reached the pc, doing speed tests,...they tell me that I should change the modem but I want to be sure that the modem is bad before buying another one, since the modem I have is mine, not from the cable company.... any test, or change in the pc, that you can suggest me to be sure the modem has problems...thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Greetings... I'm new here and I have a question that I would like you to help me with. I have a motorola arris surfboard shg6782 modem recently changed the offer from the cable company from 200mb to 400mb. When doing speed tests I see that it does not exceed 260mb and I called the cable company and they came and verified everything and it was fine but the 400mb has not yet reached the pc, doing speed tests,...they tell me that I should change the modem but I want to be sure that the modem is bad before buying another one, since the modem I have is mine, not from the cable company.... any test, or change in the pc, that you can suggest me to be sure the modem has problems...thanks
Your ISP should have a support web page that lists the modems that are approved for the 400Mbit service. Verify that yours is listed.

Rroman1159

Prominent
Jan 18, 2023
I was looking for it and called but they tell me that they don't have it because they provide their own modem...I just wanted to know if there was any other way...thanks

That is somewhat strange that it doesn't work. The arris product line is supported by most ISP, it is what most ISP provide when they provide the modem.

See if you can get the model number of the device they would provide you. Your device is docsis 3.0 which should easily go to 1gbit but the ISP maybe using docsis 3.1 for faster plans. Most times if you sign up for 1gbit service they are using 3.1.

Do they charge a monthly fee for their modem. I know lately the cable companies where I live now just have added the fee into the base plan and you pay the same if you use their equipment or yours.

The download speed is more how the ISP has thing setup than the device you buy. The current unit you have could get 1gbit if the ISP network was setup to allow it.

The problem is that would require their network to be in perfect condition so many ISP use docsis 3.1 for 1gbit since the technology can go all the way to 10gbit.

It all depends you would think the ISP would have no issue using docsis 3.0 to offer even 500mbps plans.

All this though is speculation you can sometime guess this information by the recommended modems for their plans. This is very strange they do not have a list. There are certain brands of modem (huewai for example) that technically will work fine but almost all ISP in the USA will not activate them.
Even if you own the modem the ISP must keep the firmware updated etc so they may not even support the complete line from a big company like arris. I know many ISP refused to activate arris device that had wifi6 in them when they very first came out.

Reactions: Rroman1159

Rroman1159

Prominent
Jan 18, 2023
Searching the web I found this... I think it has a limit on the download speed
motorola arris surfboard shg6782
Spec.
Download speeds up to 343 Mbps

DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

8 download & 4 upload channels

Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard

Compatible with all U.S. Cable Providers

Must be a older model but that will be the cause of the issue.

It still does not tell you what you can buy. Are you sure they don't have a list of approved equipment.

If you are going to blindly buy something try a arris 6190 that tends to be supported on most ISP but there are no guarantees. That modem will support all forms of docsis 3.0 up to 1gbit.

It is a modem only you will need a separate router. You can get modem/router combos but again you don't know which the ISP supports. When the units are separate then you can buy any router. The added advantage is most the router have more features and you not the ISP is in charge of the firmware so you can upgrade it when you feel you need to rather than hope the ISP will patch a bug quickly.

..................The isp should have known this immediately rather than wasting time sending someone out and that someone should also have known that the device you had was too old.

Reactions: Rroman1159

Rroman1159

Prominent
Jan 18, 2023
Thank you for all the information... tomorrow I will be visiting the offices of my cable provider to make sure I buy the correct one or maybe even ask for the one they offer... thanks again everyone