[SOLVED] Modem, switch, AP setup....will it work

Wildduk

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
I need my modem/WiFi router in the basement.
I want to connect one ethernet port from modem/router to a switch, then from the switch out to the rest of the house.
From the switch i want to connect 2 wireless access points. One on 1st level and one on 2nd level....
Will this setup work?

Also, does it matter if I connect the wireless access points to the switch, or can I use some of the left over Ethernet ports from the modem/wireless router.... there will be 3 left after connecting the switch

Hope thus makes sense.

Thanks

Solution
Yes, no reason that wouldn't work.

One thing though....the basement is pretty much the worse place in the house for the main WiFi source. Any real reason it needs to be there?
In a more central location, that might alleviate the need for other access points.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, no reason that wouldn't work.

One thing though....the basement is pretty much the worse place in the house for the main WiFi source. Any real reason it needs to be there?
In a more central location, that might alleviate the need for other access points.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
3 questions on the same basic topic:

Lets try to keep it all in one, OK?

I need my modem/WiFi router in the basement.
I want to connect one ethernet port from modem/router to a switch, then from the switch out to the rest of the house.
From the switch i want to connect 2 wireless access points. One on 1st level and one on 2nd level....
Will this setup work?

Also, does it matter if I connect the wireless access points to the switch, or can I use some of the left over Ethernet ports from the modem/wireless router.... there will be 3 left after connecting the switch

Hope thus makes sense.

Thanks

This is literally how commercial deployments work. So yes, it's how you're supposed to do it.

Yes, you can plug the AP's into the routers 4 port switch instead of another switch.

Wildduk

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
3 questions on the same basic topic:

Lets try to keep it all in one, OK?

OK. Noted on the multiple threads. Will keep similar to 1 in the future.

As far as location of WIFI modem in basement, I would put it on 2nd floor, that being ideal, but I’m using the coax feed thru my house for the OTA antennae, so cannot get the internet signal to the 2nd floor. Has to be in basement where it comes into house. And all the CAT5 feeds terminate....