Modem to Asus Router to Google Wifi for QOS?

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I am in need of a few advanced features that my Google Wifi doesnt offer mainly QOS, and a few things for my Synology DS916+

i'd like to place my Asus RT-N66U Router between my Google wifi, and my cable modem, but i dont know which mode to use or how to do it.

The Asus router supports Wireless router mode, repeater mode or Access point mode and possibly one more mode.

How could i use the Asus router for QOS and port forwarding, while maintaining the Mesh wifi with Google wifi?

Solution
I'd suggest edge router x qos, fq_codel. It doesn't need any advanced configuration.
It services traffic round robin and uses AQM to keep latency low on smaller connections, like gaming.
It can only handle 100Mbs internet. ipfire can handle more.

The common home class setup is:
Tier1: voice- (most udp except vpn, gaming,acks,etc) assumption is none of it needs much bandwdith
Tier2: Video- assumption is that it never needs all your bandwidth, but must be serviced 1st
Tier3: Default- web traffic, etc
Tier4: Bulk- downloads, p2p, vpn etc, anything that will swamp your connection for long periods

It's fairly difficult to match everything perfect. I'd recommend ipfire if you plan on tweaking it a lot. It has a great monitor. You won't...
Unfortunately you are going to have to run it in router mode. Not sure if you can run the google box in bridge/ap mode only.

The main issue you have is the double NAT. In addition all traffic coming out of google box will all appear to come from a single IP/mac address which might limit your ability to limit the traffic the way you want to.

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I've read in some places, that this is possible but you (I) would lose functions of the Google Wifi.
I'm not concerned with Google Wifi features, none really help me at all.

There is no way to route using Asus router, while retaining the ability of the mesh?

I'd suggest edge router x qos, fq_codel. It doesn't need any advanced configuration.
It services traffic round robin and uses AQM to keep latency low on smaller connections, like gaming.
It can only handle 100Mbs internet. ipfire can handle more.

The common home class setup is:
Tier1: voice- (most udp except vpn, gaming,acks,etc) assumption is none of it needs much bandwdith
Tier2: Video- assumption is that it never needs all your bandwidth, but must be serviced 1st
Tier3: Default- web traffic, etc
Tier4: Bulk- downloads, p2p, vpn etc, anything that will swamp your connection for long periods

It's fairly difficult to match everything perfect. I'd recommend ipfire if you plan on tweaking it a lot. It has a great monitor. You won't figure much out without seeing the traffic. you can run it on an old pc with 2 nics or build a low end one. fq_codel does a great job classless, setting that up isn't required.

port forwarding through two routers requires it on both and it should work.

Solution
You can do a nested router. All the traffic has to go through the QoS.
Modem->edge router-> google wifi-> LAN
For port forwarding make sure to forward all ports to the ip assigned to the router below it and then forward from there to the internal client.

If your internet is over 100Mbs. Ipfire is a great option and it can handle multigig. You can do a budget build for $300.
The non x86 options are very limited on speed. If the ER4 can handle the speeds and the ERX can't it's a solid choice.