Question "modern" Windows XP build

berserker0

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Hi, currently I have an old lga1155 motherboard and was planning to built Windows XP pc for old games. Will there be compatibility issues with early 2000 games on hardware such as i5-2500 and GTX 950, since this CPU has 4 cores? What compatibility issues can appear with this build? :unsure:

Go to the mobo website and look for xp drivers.
But no, that system is way too new for XP, you wont be able to make it run.
Also if you are going to use a modern system anyway just look into patches that allow you to install and play XP era games on modern windows.
pcgamingwiki is a good place to start.

berserker0

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Go to the mobo website and look for xp drivers.
But no, that system is way too new for XP, you wont be able to make it run.
Also if you are going to use a modern system anyway just look into patches that allow you to install and play XP era games on modern windows.
pcgamingwiki is a good place to start.
So the drivers is the issue? My mobo has drivers for XP btw, and there is a GPU drivers for XP as well.

So the drivers is the issue? My mobo has drivers for XP btw, and there is a GPU drivers for XP as well.
Then you have a very good chance of getting xp to run.
I meant the games like Diablo 1-2, HOMM 3, Age of Empires or something like that.
All of these games run on windows 10-11 without even changing anything...

The biggest problem with these games is that they are made for crt monitors with lower resolutions and they are going to look pretty bad on a modern monitor, no matter what OS they run on.

Reactions: berserker0

artk2219

Distinguished
Hi, currently I have an old lga1155 motherboard and was planning to built Windows XP pc for old games. Will there be compatibility issues with early 2000 games on hardware such as i5-2500 and GTX 950, since this CPU has 4 cores? What compatibility issues can appear with this build? :unsure:
Hardware wise you should be good, xp was supported on lga 1155 and the 900 series gpus. Drivers, specifically GPU drivers, may be a little weird since they didn't really spend as much time validating them on older OS's since windows 7, 8, and 8.1 were a thing and people had largely made the move to windows 7 and up by then. Windows XP only really supports two cores, it'll see more but it won't necessarily address them, 4 cores may be a bit of a waste but it won't cause any problems. It's also new enough that you could have it do double duty as a windows 7 gamer. It's not new territory, so chances are if you have a problem, someone else has also had it and there should be a fix. All that being said, you've got the hardware so set it up and have fun!

berserker0

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Then you have a very good chance of getting xp to run.

All of these games run on windows 10-11 without even changing anything...

The biggest problem with these games is that they are made for crt monitors with lower resolutions and they are going to look pretty bad on a modern monitor, no matter what OS they run on.
I just want to play them specifically on Windows XP for more authenticity (not only early 2000 games but late 2000 as well, like Crysis lol), plus this pc is overkill so I will not bother with low performance, and of course I will play them on CRT monitor, and I really don't want to use my main pc. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

berserker0

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Hardware wise you should be good, xp was supported on lga 1155 and the 900 series gpus. Drivers, specifically GPU drivers, may be a little weird since they didn't really spend as much time validating them on older OS's since windows 7, 8, and 8.1 were a thing and people had largely made the move to windows 7 and up by then. Windows XP only really supports two cores, it'll see more but it won't necessarily address them, 4 cores may be a bit of a waste but it won't cause any problems. It's also new enough that you could have it do double duty as a windows 7 gamer. It's not new territory, so chances are if you have a problem, someone else has also had it and there should be a fix. All that being said, you've got the hardware so set it up and have fun!
So disabling cores is not necessarily? Thank you, really appreciate it!

Reactions: artk2219
Quad core CPUs existed towards the end of XP's popularity and plenty of people ran them with XP. XP works with any number of "logical processors" just fine. The only limitation is actual physical processors (like dual socket boards). If you want to run old DOS games, you probably could even do that without DOS Box on Windows XP, though it depends on the game.

You can't. Unless it was a game that also had a windows exe.
With win 98 you can boot into dos-mode and run a lot of dos games, xp would need dosbox.
Yes you can. Windows NT has had basically it's own built-in DOS VM called NTVDM, which allows you to run DOS applications. Notice how in this video Doom 2 could be run directly without DOS Box

Also this page I found for running DOS games in Windows XP, https://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php , does not mention DOSBox at all.

berserker0

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
I had no particular idea to run DOS games, mostly only those that were released for Windows 98 or maybe 95, so I wanted to find out about compatibility issues with such games.

I had no particular idea to run DOS games, mostly only those that were released for Windows 98 or maybe 95, so I wanted to find out about compatibility issues with such games.
Yes, you'll find compatibility issues of all sorts with mid 90s games running on Windows XP. Some of them are mundane and you just need to set the proper compatibility mode. Others not so much, because they were designed with the hardware at the time and no amount of adjusting, either hardware or software, will fix it.

LGR for instance built a mid 90s era PC, despite having an early 90s and late 90s PC. It was specifically because some games he plays (notably P.O.D.) only runs more or less well on hardware of that vintage.

I built a late 90s PC also for similar reasons. There was a game I wanted to play, and it did run on Windows 10, but it had some weird DRM thing that required an actual optical drive and the CD to be in it, among other things.