Question Modify my laptop, and leaking LCD touch screen ?

Oct 10, 2023
Laptop model: Dell 7995

So, I know that this laptop is old, but it really has not been used that much. It has16 gigs of ram and 1 terabyte SSD drive. I just need to get a little more time out of it because of funds.

So, I wanted to know the correct way to just take off the leaking screen and use the power from the laptop and plug in an external HDMI monitor.

So delete the laptop screen entirely. Since the screen will be missing is there anything in the bios I need to put in so it boots to the external?

Do I have it set on duplicate display to extend or should I set it to diplay 1 or 2? Will it work at all if I disconnect the 30 pin connector?

I just want the bottom unit and probably use an external keyboard.
Thanks, Joe

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So, I wanted to know the correct way to just take off the leaking screen and use the power from the laptop and plug in an external HDMI monitor.
Follow the first few steps outlined on this tutorial;
You should be able to trigger the laptop to start with the external monitor hooked up and displaying only to the external monitor. I would leave the screen as is, without disconnecting anything internally.

Out of curiosity, I don't think a replacement panel would be that expensive. Where are you located? Have you tried looking a local laptop repair store?

Oct 10, 2023
I do have a new 60" tv that can be connected to the laptop. I have built my own computers. I have looked at replacing the touchscreen, but I can not find anything on Ebay and I'm not risking buying a $200 one from China. So, I just want to use the base. of the laptop. I guess I can try to glue it? I so not know where it is seeping out from?