[SOLVED] Mofi4500

Jun 5, 2020
Just bought a Mofi4500 and in the process of getting it setup. Maybe a dumb question but which side of the Mofi is the front? When aiming the router towards where a cell tower is located (can't literally see the tower)....which side of the Mofi4500 do I point towards the cell tower? or does it matter? My area doesn't have that many true cell towers...some are just power poles with a device mounted on the pole. I can aim the Mofi in a certain direction and get a certain download speed (connected to my laptop) and then turn the router 180 degrees and sometimes get a similar download number. Trying to determine which direction the signal is coming from.............thanks!!!

Solution
Best option is to put these type of units in windows. I have not seen this brand but many have a display that will show you the signal levels. You should be able to move the device around see which is best. Even if it doesn't the brute force test of put in a windows run speedtest move to the next window and run speedtest again.

kanewolf

Titan
Just bought a Mofi4500 and in the process of getting it setup. Maybe a dumb question but which side of the Mofi is the front? When aiming the router towards where a cell tower is located (can't literally see the tower)....which side of the Mofi4500 do I point towards the cell tower? or does it matter? My area doesn't have that many true cell towers...some are just power poles with a device mounted on the pole. I can aim the Mofi in a certain direction and get a certain download speed (connected to my laptop) and then turn the router 180 degrees and sometimes get a similar download number. Trying to determine which direction the signal is coming from.............thanks!!!
There is nothing in the documentation or on the manufacturer's website that says there is a "front"
There are many different versions of that device. Some with 2 antennas, some with 4 identical, some with 4 antennas of two different kinds. I see pictures with 5 antennas. Can you post a link to the exact version you have?

Jun 5, 2020
here is a link to the model I have

http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=235

It is the MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM7_COMBO model. As the link will show, it has the two wider paddle antennas for the cell signal...the two round antennas for wi-fi and there is a connector on the side closer to the wi-fi antennas...that connector is for a GPS antenna. The more I think about it, the unit probably doesn't have a "front".....assuming the paddle antennas will receive a signal from either side of the paddle?

kanewolf

Titan
here is a link to the model I have

http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=235

It is the MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM7_COMBO model. As the link will show, it has the two wider paddle antennas for the cell signal...the two round antennas for wi-fi and there is a connector on the side closer to the wi-fi antennas...that connector is for a GPS antenna. The more I think about it, the unit probably doesn't have a "front".....assuming the paddle antennas will receive a signal from either side of the paddle?
I don't think it will matter much.

Best option is to put these type of units in windows. I have not seen this brand but many have a display that will show you the signal levels. You should be able to move the device around see which is best. Even if it doesn't the brute force test of put in a windows run speedtest move to the next window and run speedtest again.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS