[SOLVED] Monitor connected to laptop goes black for 2/3 seconds when on heavy GPU load

TatUSIkSVk

Honorable
Jun 20, 2016
Hello,

I have Lenovo Y530 laptop with 1060 6GB GPU and 8th gen i7. I have an Asus VG249Q connected via DP set up for 144hz with VRR.

When the GPU is under heavy load (playing PoE / editing Video) the screen turns black for 2 or 3 seconds and comes back on afterwards. This occurs pretty often while playing GPU intensive game or editing videos. In the background nothing seems to happen, only the screens becomes blank. The laptop screen is OK and does not suffer from this problem. Under normal usage this does not happen after all.

Do you have an idea what could be wrong and what the possible solutions are?
Thanks

Solution
Use your laptop's serial number in Lenovo's support site and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. If so, make sure you're on the latest BIOS. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version for your OS, considering we're on 21H1, then turn your attention to reinstalling your chipset drivers. Please note, you're advised to install any and/or all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You should also try downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU. Reboot into Safe Mode and then reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command as stated above. See if that helps.

If the issue is persistent, might want to try...

Lutfij

Titan
Use your laptop's serial number in Lenovo's support site and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. If so, make sure you're on the latest BIOS. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version for your OS, considering we're on 21H1, then turn your attention to reinstalling your chipset drivers. Please note, you're advised to install any and/or all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You should also try downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU. Reboot into Safe Mode and then reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command as stated above. See if that helps.

If the issue is persistent, might want to try with another display and with another cable to rule out the panel or the cable as faulty. you sure the display output to the panel is at 144Hz?

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Power related - is the laptop on battery when the screen goes black or blanks?

Compare your laptop's hardware specs to the game's and app's respective hardware recommendations/requirements.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that correspond with the times that the screen goes blank.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance and activities.

You may spot some pattern or reoccurring change that likewise precedes or corresponds with the screen going blank.

TatUSIkSVk

Honorable
Jun 20, 2016
So, I have fiddled a little with settings and what I have found is that the problem only occurs when using DP cable and having the G-Sync compatible mode turned on (VRR). I think had this problem in the past, when I first bought this monitor. Then I have tried changing some properties of the refresh rate range in CRU but it clearly did not help.

In summary:
This problems occurs while hitting low FPS while VRR is on using G-Sync compatable setting in Nvidia control panel. (only available while using DP cable)