Question Monitor detected only if Nvidia drivers are uninstalled

davesp

Honorable
Dec 10, 2015
Going nuts trying to connect an old Philips 202EL monitor to my new PC (specs at bottom). Nothing works (listed below) except uninstalling Nvidia drivers (436.15), but when reinstalled, the monitor is again not detected (says 'no signal' mid-install and enters sleep mode).

In more details: Monitor has VGA and DVI-D ports. Trying to connect it to my GTX 1660 (has DPx3 and HDMIx1 ports) using a DP-DVI-D cable. Monitor is detected during POST and for a few seconds during the Windows splash screen, but then signal is lost. If Nvidia drivers are uninstalled, monitor is detected properly and doesn't enter sleep mode, but has a 800x600 resolution (native res is 1600x900) that can't be changed (resolution dropdown in display settings is disabled).

What I tried:
  1. Made sure monitor input is set to DVI.
  2. Made sure cable is ok by using it to connect Philips monitor to my laptop (running GTX 860M w/ latest Nvidia drivers). Cable and monitor work great.
  3. Made sure GPU DP ports are ok by connecting a second monitor (Aorus AD27QD) using a DP cable. Works great.
  4. Connected Philips monitor alongside a second monitor and by itself. Not detected either way in Windows display settings or in Nvidia control panel.
  5. Tried the 'detect older monitor' option in Windows display settings and Nvidia control panel.
  6. Hit Win key+P and selected 'extend' or 'duplicate'.
  7. Power cycled monitor and PC (disconnected everything, waited a few minutes, reconnected everything).
  8. Reseated GPU (same PCIe slot because my mobo only has one).
  9. Tried to update the GPU DP firmware (you actually currently can't do that with the GTX 1660).
  10. Flashed GPU bios.
  11. Flashed mobo bios.
I'm completely stumped and have no idea what else to try. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • Mobo: MSI B450M Bazooka V2
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR4-3000 (T-Force Vulcan Z)
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XC OC
  • PSU: Cooler Maser MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze