Monitor displays no signal with gpu and on board graphics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 18, 2018
I got a new gpu (gtx 1080) to replace my old 970, and due to space limitations because of cables I ended up having to practically rebuild my pc instead of just swapping out the cards, but the issue I'm facing is when I power on the PC, all the fans start spinning but my monitor doesn't display a picture. I have tried multiple wires, monitors etc. I have tried removing the gpu and plugging a hdmi into my mobo but the issue persists. I have also tried putting my 970 back in, but again I get no signal on my monitor. This really sucks because I was hoping it would be a simple swap but instead it's been 3 long days of no pc and a lot of frustration. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Have a second person that is experienced with computers check over what you are trying to connect from the PSU to that connector. Using the wrong power on the motherboard can burn it out, along with the CPU and anything else on the board. We simply can't see what you are doing there, pictures help, but it's not the same as seeing what you are doing. Unless your connectors are cracked/broken like an above post stated, the correct power cords will fit properly in the correct slot on the motherboard if you are using the right thing.
May 18, 2018

Is it still safe to insert even though the cables pattern doesn't match up to the motherboard?

May 18, 2018

OK, I will try it now. What I was saying is on the cable, one of the power cables has all rounded off shapes, and the other has alternating shapes of a square and a rounded off shape. On the board, both slots are alternated instead of 1 being all rounded off and the other one being alternated. Ill go try now and get back to you when done. Thanks for all of your help so far.

May 18, 2018

I just tried what you suggested, and it seemed like the cable didn't properly fit (as I described earlier, it isn't the right shape) and when I tried to plug it in, the pc wouldn't power on. I reverted back to one 4 pin connector, but the PC will no longer power on (it did before trying to plug in all 8 pins.) have I just broken something?

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
They should fit fine. All of the 8 pin and 4 pin cables are standard across all modern boards. Make sure you're inserting it the right way, the clip should be at the top of the two connectors. What you're saying makes me thing you have got them upside down, and that the four pins are slotted together properly. I can assure you they will fit in some orientation.

May 18, 2018

The reason the pc wouldn't turn on is cause I had knocked one of the front panel connectors. And after pushing the pins in as far as possible, I still get no signal on my monitor. There is no way that the pins are the wrong way round. Its not a matter of the shapes being in the wrong place, but the shapes being completely different. On the board, it displays a rounded shape then a square shape in opposite corners, whereas on one of the 4 pin connectors it displays all rounded off shapes, no squares. It's a complete different shape as to what is on the board. Is there any way that I can provide a picture?

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Right, from what I can see you should replace your PSU. The shaped connections are wrong, perhaps mis-shapen over time. Either way, I would consider replacing it. Having said that however, just because they are mis-shapen doesn't mean it won't function. As long as they are in the right way as they would need to be if they were correctly shaped, you should be able to insert and use it just fine, as all the connections are the same. I would recommend a modular one if you plan on using the PSU over a long-term for multiple systems, but if it's staying put for the foreseeable future, just get a non/semi-modular PSU somewhere wound 500W.

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
I suppose, to avoid motherboard damage, you could get an extension cable. This would mean you don't risk motherboard damage by trying to force any connections, as there is no chance of you levering something off etc. If you don't want to just buy a new PSU, this would be a good starting point.

Have a second person that is experienced with computers check over what you are trying to connect from the PSU to that connector. Using the wrong power on the motherboard can burn it out, along with the CPU and anything else on the board. We simply can't see what you are doing there, pictures help, but it's not the same as seeing what you are doing. Unless your connectors are cracked/broken like an above post stated, the correct power cords will fit properly in the correct slot on the motherboard if you are using the right thing.

Solution