Question Monitor for 1440p with good overall image with 27-28''

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hello.

I have tried a Asus XG27AQ and sent it back has the monitor literally would not add brightness to shadows which made gaming and watching videos a nightmare.

Any suggestions for a 1440p monitor with good image, G-Sync, 27-28'' and preferably not curved? Usage would be gaming and video watching.
Budget is about $800 max. I normally use my screens with over 50% brightness and contrast so I have a pretty bright image and saturated colors since without the extra brightness most of the shadows are just black and mid tones and highlights are bland.

Also used to have a Asus PG279Q which I loved even though the image was a bit too gray.

A good balance between good image, lightning and accuracy would be great.

Thanks in advance!

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hello.

I have tried a Asus XG27AQ and sent it back has the monitor literally would not add brightness to shadows which made gaming and watching videos a nightmare.

Any suggestions for a 1440p monitor with good image, G-Sync, 27-28'' and preferably not curved? Usage would be gaming and video watching.
Budget is about $800 max. I normally use my screens with over 50% brightness and contrast so I have a pretty bright image and saturated colors since without the extra brightness most of the shadows are just black and mid tones and highlights are bland.

Also used to have a Asus PG279Q which I loved even though the image was a bit too gray.

A good balance between good image, lightning and accuracy would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the input. I've seen the samsung being tossed around left and right but being 32'' would be a nightmare as I have no way to make more distance to the screen.

I am guessing the xg279q-w(xg279q is not sold anymore in EU, we have the same thing but in white) is the one which is better since the pg279qm has worst brightness and contrast but costs about $150 more.

I hope the xg27aq I sent back was simply bad, in no way a screen with maxed brightness can produce areas completely pitch black where there would be mid tones or shadows.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is a 27" version of the G7.

Still rocking a PG279Q myself. Just can't quite justify an upgrade.

I am tempted to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Adjustable-Compatible-Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/dp/B08N5HRJ6W

But I also don't want to miss out on a higher HDR spec for a little future proofing. I have a samsung 32" QD display, and it is pretty satisfying, but obviously not a great monitor since it is still a TV.

True OLEDs are still too pricey and too large for my tastes, and too many are TV based.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
My PG279Q is broken beyond repair, I can seem black lines across most of the left of the screen.

What brightness/contrast/color balance do you use for gaming/video just for reference? I am running it at 60/60/100-100-100 since I have no other replacement.

I'll look into the specs of the 27''

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You won't like my answer. I keep the screen at a very low brightness, and if I am working on it, even lower. 20 or less for the most part.

My PG279Q does suffer from pretty massive backlight bleed in the bottom right, as many of them did. One of the reasons to replace it. But it isn't too noticeable most of the time. (Brightness there is not a factor, just has a very orange corner and the opposite corners have the more traditional blue backlight bleed) I bought it at launch and there were many weeks of wait times for replacements (and sometimes the replacements were worse, I would say mine was in the middle) Stories of people returning the monitor 3 or more times to get a decent one. This was early days of expensive LCDs, with inflation, probably around $1000, MSRP was $800 at launch. Now people don't bat an eye at $1300-1700 ultrawides.

But it is one of those things that I have had to keep for a long time to justify the cost.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
20? I almost can't see with 20 though, the calibration was even impossible to keep as it was dark and highlights, mids were gone, shadows are pitch black. I don't think my PG279Q came faulty to a point where 20 brightness is nothing, something is fishy :/

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Running my Dell monitors at 15% right now, it is enough for me. I choose comfort over image quality.

I would agree that at higher brightness the monitor gets washed out, but it was never an issue for me since I don't run them that bright. I think it is one of the reasons I like QD displays, since they are more emissive than traditional LCDs I can turn down the brightness without sacrificing too much color. OLED would be ideal, but they need to come down a bit before I make that leap. Burn in and image fade would probably not be a huge factor to me.