Question Monitor for General Use and a Little Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Hello, i am searching for a 27" monitor for General Use (Web Browsing, Movies, Videos) and a little bit of Gaming but without wanting anything heavy. I am playing LoL or CS just for fun to pass my little free time.
I have an old Sapphire Radeon HD7850 which i will not upgrade surely until the end of 2019.
I am watching this monitor because it's a VA Panel, where the colors will be good, but it has the Hz and Response Time of a Gaming Monitor. Can someone tell me his opionion? Will 27" in 1080p resolution be bad with pixels on reading staff?
I am reading generally an average of good comments about this monitor and on this price i think it's a good deal.

Thank you.

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
I know about 1440p VA Panels of MSI, but especially here in Greece cost more than 499$, so i can't afford them. I think i'll try CJG50, gaming is not something that bothers me a lot.
I think i will try Samsung 27CJG50 and i hope i won't regret it.

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
I have a LG Flatron TN Panel for almost 10 years now and i've used to it, so I think that a new 2K VA Panel will thrill me :p. I know i can RMA it. But sometimes you get into trouble. Sometimes they don't accept returns. But I hope and think that i will not face any problems. I'll be back with my final decision!

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Hi again. For 5-6 hours now, i have set up on my desktop, my new 27" Samsung CJG50 Monitor. I am happy as we speak, i haven't used it so much and of course i don't have an overall opinion, because the time I use it is nothing.
The first problem i have faced, is that I don't know how to change Windows/Graphics to 144Hz. The monitor settings are at 144Hz but on Windows I can only see 60Hz. Is there any chance that my GPU doesn't support 144Hz, or i am doing something wrong? I read a couple of weeks before i buy it, that only HDMI 2 Port can work over 60Hz, so i connected the HDMI to this port.
If someone has an answer to that, i would be thankful. Also I am searching for the best settings until now and i can't decide. Any suggestions are welcome too.

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Which GPU are you using? Your old Radeon or your new Nvidia? List your current GPU make and model (or part number).
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Part Number: 113-221PVBBBG-LM2

I know it's a little bit old and not so good. But i don't use it for competitive gaming. One friend upgraded his PC and gave it to me for free.

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Alright, thanks again for your time and help. The problem is i am doing this exact same thing, but the only screen refresh rate i get from Windows 10 is 60Hz, nothing less, nothing more. That's the reason i am asking if there is a chance my GPU doesn't support refresh rates over 60Hz.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I figured it out and it's due to the HDMI connector your GPU has.

For 144Hz @ 1440p, your GPU needs to have at least HDMI 2.0 connector or newer. HDMI 2.0 was released on September 4, 2013. Your GPU, however, was released on July 18th, 2012. Due to that, your GPU can't possibly have HDMI 2.0 connector. What it has is either HDMI 1.4 or older where none of those support 144Hz @ 1440p.

Since your GPU also has 1x DisplayPort connector, try using this one instead. That should work without issues if your GPU has DisplayPort 1.2, which it most likely has, since last GPUs with DisplayPort 1.1 came out in 2010. DisplayPort 1.2 supports 144Hz @ 1440p without issues. Btw, I'm also using DisplayPort with my monitor and GPU.

Oh, here are your GPU specs as well if you're interested in that,
link: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-hd-7850-dual-x-oc-2-gb.b650

Reactions: tasaras98

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What i mean with cable revision is that with HDMI, e.g with HDMI 2.0, you need to use HDMI 2.0 cable as well to use all the benefits of HDMI 2.0. If you use HDMI 1.4 cable while the ports are HDMI 2.0, you won't get HDMI 2.0 benefits, instead, max you'd get HDMI 1.4.

With DisplayPort, there are no cable revisions since all DisplayPort cables work just as fine regardless DisplayPort version. E.g if you have a DisplayPort cable that came with DisplayPort 1.0 device, you can use that very same cable with DisplayPort 1.4 device problem free.

Reactions: tasaras98