[SOLVED] Monitor goes black frequently.

ramseyothniel

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
Greetings!

I have an RX 570 (bought it used) and an old monitor (LG Flatron E1940) with VGA output. I have to use a converter for female VGA to male HDMI (for the RX 570) to connect my GPU with the monitor.

While I have been using it for straight 2 years with no problem, my monitor starts blacking out recently (the pc still runs find, because when I was gaming, the sound and inputs are still going on).

Than, I got me some new converter and new VGA cables to replace the older, but the problem still occurs. Later, I tried to wiggle the cable from both HDMI socket of RX 570 and my monitor's VGA socket. The monitor turns on immediately, but at some angles it turns off again and for some angle the monitor could display statics.

My question is, which one is more likely be damaged? The monitor or the GPU?
Thank you in advance :D

Solution
If possible try another known working monitor (or even a TV that can be used as such) with your computer and GPU.

Try your monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem follows the monitor and its' VGA port or if the problem stays with your computer and GPU.

Remember to test with and without any adapters if at all possible.

Objective being to narrow down the possible culprit.

However if the problems occur when you wiggle or otherwise disturb the monitor's VGA port then the VGA port may be damaged.

Ralston18

Titan
If possible try another known working monitor (or even a TV that can be used as such) with your computer and GPU.

Determine if the problem follows the monitor and its' VGA port or if the problem stays with your computer and GPU.

However if the problems occur when you wiggle or otherwise disturb the monitor's VGA port then the VGA port may be damaged.

Reactions: ramseyothniel
Solution

ramseyothniel

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018

Will definitely do this. Thanks!