Question Monitor goes into power saving mode when PC is under heavy use

Axehhh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
Hello everyone
I just built a new PC and this issue occurred immediately after. I bought battlefield 5 but when I try to play it, it runs for approx. 2 minutes and then my monitor shuts down. In order for me to make it work again I need to restart my PC. The PC keeps running when the monitor goes off, however the the fans are loud. I never had this problem with the previous PC I had. CPU temperature is about 40 celsius and the GPU is ~55 c at the moment it happens. PC works as it should when I'm doing anything else, tested it with a few other games that don't require that much power.

I've opened the case and checked all the plugs, everything is ok. I tried to lower the graphics to ease the load, but it doesn't help. All the parts are 100% stock, no overclocking.

The build I have is: i5-9600K 3,7 ghz, 16GB Ripjaws V DDR4 @ 3200MHz, RTX 2070 8GB, a 750W PSU.

The game runs smoothly until the end when audio starts to stutter and then my monitor goes off.

Axehhh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
Also are you using something like after burner, to monitor your hardware? If so turn up the target temp on the card.

I didn't have much time to test the afterburner, but I managed to play ~20 minutes and there were no problems. Although I had my graphics quality set to med-low. I will update later.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Your system isn't "sleeping", it's crashing. ;)

Other than what was already suggested, you might also want to check your system RAM as well. You can use windows built in memory diagnostic tool by typing mdsched in the windows search in your task bar. You can also use a third party test tool like memtest86.

Axehhh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
I didn't have much time to test the afterburner, but I managed to play ~20 minutes and there were no problems. Although I had my graphics quality set to med-low. I will update later.
Ok, I played for about 30 minutes on high settings and then it crashed, I turned the temperature limit on afterburner to maximum (88c) but still it doesn't work :( GPU temp. was the regular 55.

You can use windows built in memory diagnostic tool by typing mdsched in the windows search in your task bar.
I did this but it didn't give me any errors there

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Sorting out issues like this can be a pain in the butt. The last thing you want to do is RMA the wrong component and end up back where you started. If you have another capable PC at hand, I would throw the GPU in that system and see if it still crashes.

You might also want to have a look at the windows Event Viewer and review the system logs when the computer crashed. It may (or may not) give you some clues.

I would also check the Device Manager and make sure you don't have any missing drivers for your system.

Axehhh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
You might also want to have a look at the windows Event Viewer and review the system logs when the computer crashed. It may (or may not) give you some clues.

I would also check the Device Manager and make sure you don't have any missing drivers for your system.
Didn't have any outdated drivers according to device manager. I checked the event viewer and I found some critical errors, but I don't really understand what any of it means, and I can't post a picture out from it because it's in my native language. I can try to translate it if someone wants to.

I am going to see if the gpu fits into my old pc, tho it has to wait until tomorrow.

GPU done then
Yes this is what i fear, but like knickle said I don't want to RMA unless im 101% the fault is in the gpu

Axehhh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
It sounds like the computer is power cycling then, do you have a different PSU you can try?
I have, but I can't get it to work. Upon booting up, the familiar silent click sound can be heard and then nothing else happens. Idk why it wont work. But anyway, I'm going to return the current PSU and get a new one in a few days, we'll see if it fixes this shit

Feb 27, 2019
Hi Axehh, I just found this topic and I specially made this account because I have EXACTLY the same problems.

System specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 7700k
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z270-A
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G
PSU: Corsair HX750W alternative PSU: Corsair CX850m
Monitor: Dell S2417DG 144/165 hz 1440p

I've sent my processor, GPU and mobo back to the retailer. Not once, not twice no three times because problems kept persisting. Retailer keeps saying he can't find any problems in aforementioned hardware. I've let a somewhat hobby technician take a look at it but the only thing he could find is that my GPU heated up quite quickly but he couldn't exactly tell me the problem. He tested all the parts of my computer in 2 different PC's but the same problem(s) did not occur. I've bought a new PSU, hoping that that would solve my problem but no.

First time the problem occurred after playing a game for 1 hour or so, my screen turned into sleeping mode. Just like you I had to reset my PC in order to have a working monitor. After a couple of days it kept occuring but even 5 minutes after launching up a game. But not only turning my monitor into sleeping mode but also making my GPU fans go all crazy by going 100%. After those days my pc decided to not turn on completely. After changing the battery on my motherboard it seemed to turn back on but the problem with the sleep modus keeps persisting.

I am in complete despair. I do not know what I can do. Nobody seems to find a solution to this problem so I really hope that someone on the internet can help us.

If I find a solution to the problem I will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Mike

Mar 1, 2019
Hi Axehh, I just found this topic and I specially made this account because I have EXACTLY the same problems.

System specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 7700k
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z270-A
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G
PSU: Corsair HX750W alternative PSU: Corsair CX850m
Monitor: Dell S2417DG 144/165 hz 1440p

I've sent my processor, GPU and mobo back to the retailer. Not once, not twice no three times because problems kept persisting. Retailer keeps saying he can't find any problems in aforementioned hardware. I've let a somewhat hobby technician take a look at it but the only thing he could find is that my GPU heated up quite quickly but he couldn't exactly tell me the problem. He tested all the parts of my computer in 2 different PC's but the same problem(s) did not occur. I've bought a new PSU, hoping that that would solve my problem but no.

First time the problem occurred after playing a game for 1 hour or so, my screen turned into sleeping mode. Just like you I had to reset my PC in order to have a working monitor. After a couple of days it kept occuring but even 5 minutes after launching up a game. But not only turning my monitor into sleeping mode but also making my GPU fans go all crazy by going 100%. After those days my pc decided to not turn on completely. After changing the battery on my motherboard it seemed to turn back on but the problem with the sleep modus keeps persisting.

I am in complete despair. I do not know what I can do. Nobody seems to find a solution to this problem so I really hope that someone on the internet can help us.

If I find a solution to the problem I will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Mike
Did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue. It first crashed into “power save mode” 5 min into a gaming session after I built my PC. Now when I return I get a blue screen repair and have to do that over and over. Then when I finally get windows installed again it will crash again. I have tried everything.

Feb 27, 2019
Did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue. It first crashed into “power save mode” 5 min into a gaming session after I built my PC. Now when I return I get a blue screen repair and have to do that over and over. Then when I finally get windows installed again it will crash again. I have tried everything.

Hi Raft996,

My friend has an identical GPU. Later this evening I will pick it up and place it in my computer to see if the problem persists or not.

If it the problem doesn't occur I can certainly say that my own gpu is the problem. As for now I still haven't founs a solution. I will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Mike

Feb 27, 2019

Hi Raft996,

I installed the GPU from my friend and started testing. It took quite a while but eventually the same problem occurred. But I noticed something. Just slightly 1 second before it happened the aforementioned problem happened, I heard a windows error sound/message sound.
So instead of looking at the hardware I decided to take a look at the software. I've completely wiped all my HDD's and SSD's and installed windows 10 from the ground up via a usb.

So far I've not encountered any problems with the graphics card but I will still keep on testing with more heavy loads in order to see if the problem really did go away.

I will keep you updated about my progress.

Cheers,

Mike

Feb 27, 2019

Hi Raft996,

After playing for a couple of hours after I did wipe all my HDD's and SSD's I still encountered the same problem. I really don't know what else I can do.

I really hope that someone could come up with a solution as I've been tackling this problem for over 2 months already.

Regards,

Mike

Feb 27, 2019
Hello guys,

My pc is working again as it did 2 months ago. I bought a new PSU and build it in. I had to unscrew my mobo as well. I noticed that not all screwholes (don't know how to call them, not native english speaker) were filled with screws. So I filled them. Before, the mobo could wiggle at bit. I'm not sure whether adding some more screws did the job or not. I'm not sure if the wiggling of the mobo caused the graphics card to not make complete contact with the graphics card slot due to heat. Anyway. I made sure that the mobo did not sit loose and I plugged in a new PSU.

As for now it kept functioning for 3 days straight like it used to be.

I really hope that the above mentioned solutions can help you further.

Regards,

Mike