Monitor is turning purple for a second and kind of blinking.

It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell Dimension 300 MHz
PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up for a minute or
2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on it on part of
the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.

Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or something else
before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or monitor to swap
things around. The picture kind of maybe goes off for a fraction of a second and then
comes back on. I don't really know how to describe it. I'm not sure what I'm seeing. It
just started flashing purple, also for a brief moment at a time.

I'd like to be able to go to CompUSA and get whatever I need or possibly order something
from Dell. I don't know if anyone even makes or sells a graphics card that will work in
this computer. ;-) It's a Riva 128, first generation 3D card.

Thank you

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
> Dimension 300 MHz
> PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up
> for a minute or
> 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on
> it on part of
> the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
>
> Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or
> something else
> before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
> monitor to swap
> things around.

<snip>

Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to do.
See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an old
monitor that works.

Stew

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
>> Dimension 300 MHz
>> PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up
>> for a minute or
>> 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on
>> it on part of
>> the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
>>
>> Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or
>> something else
>> before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
>> monitor to swap
>> things around.
>
><snip>
>

>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to do.
>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an old
>monitor that works.
>

>Stew

Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could do? I've never
heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is going bad and
the red and blue are what I'm seeing?

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>>> It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
>>> Dimension 300 MHz
>>> PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms
>>> up
>>> for a minute or
>>> 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes
>>> on
>>> it on part of
>>> the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card
>>> or
>>> something else
>>> before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
>>> monitor to swap
>>> things around.
>>
>><snip>
>>

>>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to
>>do.
>>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an
>>old
>>monitor that works.
>>

>>Stew
>>

> Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could
> do? I've never
> heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is
> going bad and
> the red and blue are what I'm seeing?

It sounds fairly typical - depending on the make/model of the monitor. The
older Sony Trinitrons or Ultrascans very often will begin to discolor and
sometimes will have a purple or mis-colored hue to the entire screen.

Let's hope it's the monitor, as CRTs are plentiful (both used and new) and
incredibly inexpensive.

Stew

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:13:10 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis"
>> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>>><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message

>>><snip>
>>>

>>>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to
>>>do.
>>>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an
>>>old
>>>monitor that works.
>>>

>>>Stew
>>>

>> Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could
>> do? I've never
>> heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is
>> going bad and
>> the red and blue are what I'm seeing?
>>

>It sounds fairly typical - depending on the make/model of the monitor. The
>older Sony Trinitrons or Ultrascans very often will begin to discolor and
>sometimes will have a purple or mis-colored hue to the entire screen.
>
>Let's hope it's the monitor, as CRTs are plentiful (both used and new) and
>incredibly inexpensive.

Yeah compared to 7 years ago they are a bargain. I paid around $630 or $640 for my 17"
Iiyama plus $50 for shipping, you couldn't get them in local stores and I had to haggle a
little to get them to bring the price down to that amount to match a competitor. $50
off. :) It's got a Trinitron type tube so maybe it is the monitor that's gone bad. It
turned purple and stayed that way. I left it off for most of the day and when I turned it
back on it was still purple, then it changed back to the way it's supposed to be. I think
I'm going to wait until it goes bad again before I replace it so I can be sure the problem
is with the monitor and not the graphics card. I think I'll bring the monitor to the store
where I'm going to get a new one and ask them to hook it up to a computer.

Thank you.

Dying monitor. The long-term symptoms indicate this... Ben Myers

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:06:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>Dying monitor. The long-term symptoms indicate this... Ben Myers

Thanks. I thought they might.