[SOLVED] Monitor keeps switching between analog and HDMI while on a black screen

Agustin Lanus

Honorable
Jul 12, 2015
Hello, I just updated my GPU but now one of my displays isn't working and I'm not sure what is causing it, here are details and specs:

Monitor is a Samsung S22D300, it is connected via HDMI (converted to Display Port to fit GPU), It worked fine on my other GPU when it was connected via VGA (converted to DVI to fit in GPU)

New GPU is a Nvidia 3080
Motherboard PRIME X399-A
CPU Threadripper 1920X
Other display is a 40" Philips TV

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

Solution
It sounds like your DP -> HDMI converter isn't working properly. There seem to be a lot of super-cheapo converters out there that seem to have issues. I bought a DP -> HDMI passive converter cable and it was a PoS. It kept dropping the signal every few minutes and occasionally the colors were all messed up. Can you try swapping the cables? Plug the HDMI to HDMI cable into the Samsung and try the DP -> HDMI cable in the Phillips TV. If it doesn't work on the Phillips TV either then you probably just got a bad converter.

larkspur

Distinguished
It sounds like your DP -> HDMI converter isn't working properly. There seem to be a lot of super-cheapo converters out there that seem to have issues. I bought a DP -> HDMI passive converter cable and it was a PoS. It kept dropping the signal every few minutes and occasionally the colors were all messed up. Can you try swapping the cables? Plug the HDMI to HDMI cable into the Samsung and try the DP -> HDMI cable in the Phillips TV. If it doesn't work on the Phillips TV either then you probably just got a bad converter.

Solution

Agustin Lanus

Honorable
Jul 12, 2015
It did not work with the TV either so you're most likely correct, but this converter did work on my laptop back when I used it not long ago, would you happen to know what I should look for if I were to buy another one for my PC?