Question Monitor loses signal when gaming --- trying to figure out if the PSU is the problem ?

Rescend

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
I'm losing signal to my monitor when gaming.
Here are the steps I took so far to try and troubleshoot.

• The monitor loses signal when gaming. The pc is still running and i can still hear the game in the background. After a semi-brief period of lag, I can still input commands and hear the game respond.
  • I was running a Corsair axi1200w PSU. Switched to an EVGA 850w PSU. My system is running 9 fans, a pump, a 5950x, and a 3070. It's more stable with the EVGA PSU but still runs into the problem of suddenly losing signal to the monitor when gaming.
  • Switched riser cables and psu cables. The only cable I haven't changed is the 12-pin adapter since I only have 1 of them. Will probably buy another one tomorrow and test.
  • Using msi afterburner and limiting power draw to 60% makes it more stable and lets me play normal games without losing signal. Signal loss still happens in vr games.
  • Checked hdmi cable for any loose connections.
  • Reseated and checked memory.
  • GPU temps show no signs of overheating.
  • I can browse and stuff just fine but gaming is a no.
  • Uninstalled drivers with DDU and then reinstalled.
I'm hoping its not my gpu as I don't currently have the money to replace it right now.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Who Downgrades a PSU and why ? Especially when you realize that draw power is causing lost signal ?
Not all drivers are compatible with everything or work properly with your specific GPU, and as an AMD user I experienced blackouts from driver crashes, driver error mostly, but black screen prolonged leads to monitor lost signal. In gaming you don't need nor want the latest driver, you want the most compatible.

Rescend

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2014
Alright, I figured it out. It was literally my waterblock. Due to the design of the waterblock or the pcb or maybe both, no matter what I did, it was impossible to install the waterblock without bending the pcb a little. I replaced it with the air cooler it came with and all problems went away. So far, I did not notice any damage to the gpu, however, I can no longer fit my gpu in my sff case because the air cooler is too big. Live and learn I guess.