Question Monitor Loses Signal While Gaming. What Could the Issue Be?

invinciblewitzi

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
Hey everyone! I recently moved and I started having problems with my display after having moved. For whatever reason, I've been having this issue where my monitor will randomly lose signal, but (almost) everything else will work fine. That is, I won't be able to see anything, but if I'm calling someone through something like Skype, I can continue talking to them without any issues. The same applies if I was listening to music prior to the display being cut. However, I can't use my keyboard or mouse to interact with my computer anymore. I tested this with a friend in an online game, where right after the signal is lost, I press a button that activates an animation; my friend noted that the animation did not play, no matter how many times I pressed the button. I also tried alt-tabbing repeatedly to see if the primary window got switched, but we still did not see any results. Shortly after the display is cut, I sometimes hear a Windows 10 notification, specifically the one that plays whenever I plug in a new USB device. I've checked my components and my CPU and GPU temperatures, and there seems to be no faults.

This next part is the most confusing: I don't lose display if I'm not gaming, but as soon as I boot up a game, the signal will be lost after a few minutes. I've noticed that if I play games in windowed mode, it takes a bit longer for the signal to be lost. Most confusing is when I dual-boot into Ubuntu. For whatever reason, if I play the same games on Ubuntu, my monitor does not lose signal, the issue only occurs when I'm using Windows 10 on the exact same machine.

Furthermore, I built this computer primarily for animation and photo editing purposes, so that I could run multiple art programs at once without slowdown, and even with programs that utilize my GPU (such as Autodesk Maya, Adobe Animate, etc.), the signal is not lost.

From this, I think it's safe to say that it's not the monitor that's the issue, but I'm stumped as to what the issue is, seeing that it only occurs on a specific OS. I've removed the RAM and reinserted it, took out and reinserted the CMOS battery of the motherboard, and ensured that my GPU is in place.
Could the dual-booting be a part of the issue? I don't really think this would be the case...

It's just such a confusing case because the time it takes for the signal to be lost after booting up a game varies every time!

Thank you in advance for your help!

PC Specs:
CPU -- Intel i9-9900k
GPU -- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
RAM -- Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB sticks
Storage -- Two Samsung SSD 970 EVO, 1TB, and 500 GB, both M.2
One Samsung SSD 750 EVO, 500 GB, SATA
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
PSU: Corsair RM750
Monitor: AOC i2269vw
In case it matters, I use a DVI-D cable, not an HDMI cable

invinciblewitzi

Commendable
Feb 24, 2018
After a bit of fiddling around, I found out the issue. My mobo has one faulty temperature sensor for the pcie-16 slot, so it thinks my gpu is overheating (when its not) and forces a shutdown of it, leaving everything else fine. My workaround has been using ASUS GPU TweakII and raising the maximum allowed temperature of my GPU (not an issue, because in actuality my GPU is cool, to the point where I can touch it with my hand without feeling much heat after using it for a couple of hours). This greatly reduced the frequency at which the signal is lost, but it still happens every once in a while. I guess, when I moved my PC, only one of the temp sensors got screwed up, and it still has an effect :/

Is there some way to completely disable the automatic shutdown of the GPU as a result of this faulty temp sensor?