Question Monitor loses signal while (mostly) playing games

Oct 9, 2021
Hi, suddenly my monitor is losing signal whenever I play games (not all games, cpu demanded games like lol,valorant doesnt cause this often. But sometimes its happening. But i have no luck with gpu demanding games like battlefield etc.). Just the monitor goes off, I can still hear my friends talking on discord but they cant hear me.

But it not just the games.
Today i try to use photoshop and my screen goes black (had to restart)
Yesterday i try to use web cam filters and my screen goes black again. (had to restart)

Weird thing is %90 of the time when i had to restart GPU drivers doesnt respond. Had to reinstall drivers everytime.

I tried soo many different drivers but that didnt work.

(also this happened like maybe 100 time but 2 time bios beeped 2 times (shortly)) Ram error maybe ? (im preparing to do memtest at the moment. wish me luck)

My PC:
Ryzen 5 3600x
ASRock Phantom gaming 5700XT OC
ASROCK B450M-HDV R4.0 motherboard
8GB 3200 MHz ram x2
XPG Core Reactor 850w

Note: I used to have 600w PSU but i noticed recomended watt for my GPU is 700w. So i bought a new one.

When i use 600w it was giving me wattman errors/black screen (no signal) all the time. Right now i dont get wattman errors but still i have black screen/no signal errors

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that are captured when the black screens occurred.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted or shriveled wire insulation, blackened or browned components, swollen components, kinked or pinched wires. Any sort of damage.

Oct 9, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that are captured when the black screens occurred.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted or shriveled wire insulation, blackened or browned components, swollen components, kinked or pinched wires. Any sort of damage.

Yes sorry i forget the say that. Everytime after i re open my pc when i look at the Event Viewer its says "kernel-eventtracing" on the critical errors side. But i think its because of the hard restarting pc.

Im gonna check with more detail if black screen occur one more time.

edit : when look at the Reliability History its full of "Radeon Settings: CPU Metrics Server" errors. Maybe thats the thing we are looking.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021
Hi, suddenly my monitor is losing signal whenever I play games (not all games, cpu demanded games like lol,valorant doesnt cause this often. But sometimes its happening. But i have no luck with gpu demanding games like battlefield etc.). Just the monitor goes off, I can still hear my friends talking on discord but they cant hear me.

Yesterday i try to use web cam filters and my screen goes black again. (had to restart)

Weird thing is %90 of the time when i had to restart GPU drivers doesnt respond. Had to reinstall drivers everytime.

I tried different drivers but that didnt work. but maybe i just didnt try the perfect driver.

the drivers i tried;

20.11.2 , 20.7.2 , 21.8.1 ,21.8.2 and the latest 4 driver

(also this happened like maybe 100 time but 2 time bios beeped 2 times (shortly)) Ram error maybe ?

when i look at the Reliability History its full of "Radeon Settings: CPU Metrics Server" errors and and they all happened while the connection with the monitor was gone. GPU error maybe ?

My PC:
Ryzen 5 3600x
8GB 3200 MHz ram x2
XPG Core Reactor 850w

Note: I used to have 600w PSU but i noticed recomended watt for my GPU is 700w. So i bought a new one.

When i use 600w it was giving me wattman errors/black screen (no signal) all the time. Right now i dont get wattman errors but still i have black screen/no signal errors

Ralston18

Titan
Google "Radeon Settings CPU Metrics Server error".

I just did that (filtered to the 'Past year' and received a number of hits.

Take a look and pay attention to context and details. Read a few sites before doing anything. Hopefully some consensus on the problem itself and a solution will be found.

Do be very wary of any sites offering downloads or other actions that purport to solve the problem. Some of those websites will show up no matter what problem is being researched.

Also do not attempt any registry edits. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after a full system and registry backup.

Oct 9, 2021
Google "Radeon Settings CPU Metrics Server error".

I just did that (filtered to the 'Past year' and received a number of hits.

Take a look and pay attention to context and details. Read a few sites before doing anything. Hopefully some consensus on the problem itself and a solution will be found.

Do be very wary of any sites offering downloads or other actions that purport to solve the problem. Some of those websites will show up no matter what problem is being researched.

Also do not attempt any registry edits. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after a full system and registry backup.

sadly i couldnt manage to find any results. maybe im just bad at googling. But thanks for the effort and help anyway :)

Oct 9, 2021
Doubt that you are "bad at googling".

The key is perseverance.

Change the wording, change the filters.

Eventually you will find yourself on track towards both details regarding the problem at hand and possible solutions.

all i can found is;

1- Reinstall windows but disable the windows update (some people saying win10 graphic drivers causes this)
2- Maximise the power limit to +%50. Basicly increase his "watt reserve". (some people saying 5700XT cpu watt usage can spike sometimes and thats causing the crash)
3- Try another drivers or maybe radeon pro drivers.
4- Update the bios

im tryin option 2 now. I tried photoshop for 30min it didnt crash.
i tried to play a game that causing crash literally in 30 second every time i tried to play. Tried to play like 10 minute. Didnt crash.
it survived 2 minute stress test. Usually the computer or driver would crash within 1 minute. Didnt even stutter for 2 minute. (temps were super high tho).

So far soo good. I will post the updates.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What game is causing the "30 second" crashes?

I am also starting to wonder about that XPG Core Reactor 850w PSU.

Likely that 850 watts is enough power per se.

However, remember that PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components.

So some problem within the PSU is another possibility to consider.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. Any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

Oct 9, 2021
What game is causing the "30 second" crashes?

I am also starting to wonder about that XPG Core Reactor 850w PSU.

Likely that 850 watts is enough power per se.

However, remember that PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components.

So some problem within the PSU is another possibility to consider.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not underload. Any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

Road 96, Pummel Party, Gang Beast and GTA 5 usually cause crash in 1 minute. Sometimes i cant even pass main menu.
But after i increase the max woltage to +%50;
Played Gang Beast for 10 min. Didnt crash
im playing Road 96 for an 3 hour maybe (i just alt tabbed im still playing it) didnt crashed.

I dont think PSU is the problem. (i had the same issue with my other psu. Thats why i bougt a new one anyway)
Lets say GPU power usage is limited to 250w in radeon settings (lets say)
Sometimes gpu power usage can spike and maybe it needs 260w. But in software there is a limit. So probly thats why gpu crashed all the time. I simply increased that limit. Since then its working good.
(i mean, the wattage that the PSU can give is limited by the radeon settings. It seems more like a software and hardware incompatibility. While some 5700xts work smoothly with the 250w limit, some may require more than 250w of energy. If that's the problem and if that's the solution, the software will be the one to blame.)

(The 250w number is a theoretical number. I don't know exactly what the watt limit is.)

I think i have something like multi-meter. Not sure tho. I dont know how to use it tho. But i willing to try to clear all question marks if i can find it.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020

I tried different drivers but that didnt work. but maybe i just didnt try the perfect driver.

the drivers i tried;

20.11.2 , 20.7.2 , 21.8.1 ,21.8.2 and the latest 4 driver

(also this happened like maybe 100 time but 2 time bios beeped 2 times (shortly)) Ram error maybe ?

when i look at the Reliability History its full of "Radeon Settings: CPU Metrics Server" errors and and they all happened while the connection with the monitor was gone. GPU error maybe ?

My PC:
Ryzen 5 3600x
8GB 3200 MHz ram x2
XPG Core Reactor 850w

Sounds like a potential GPU issue, is the card preowned or ever been mined on, and I checked the beep codes for the B450, says 2 short beeps could be memory related (like you said), so could just be a boot error or something else, but back to the card, AMD GPU drivers have always been a bit iffy for myself, never really liked them, so it could purely be a driver issue.

What I recommend is to try using a different HDMI or DP cable to see if you can elimate that as an issue first.

Oct 9, 2021
@Ralston18 Okay good news. Since 3 weeks i didnt get any black screen / no signal error. I think the method works.

But sometimes (rarely) my driver crashing. Due to wattman error. But it happened like 3-4 times during 3 weeks. But still its a bummer. i wish i can fix that too.

Ralston18

Titan
Question: "wattman error"

This software?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-wattman

Uninstall and try going without it for a couple of weeks.

For the most part I (speaking just for myself) can get along without various utilities and tools that monitor system specs and performance.

From time to time. full disclosure, I have tried various products/apps and end up with a sense of "that's nice/cool/pretty etc. but what is it really doing for me beyond consuming system resources....."

So my use of such things is to troubleshoot and diagnose. Not continuous monitoring.

However, to be fair, if you do continuously monitor then some parameter change is more likely to be noted.

And that could help resolve a problem.

No harm in keeping your options open. :)

Oct 9, 2021
Question: "wattman error"

This software?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-wattman

Uninstall and try going without it for a couple of weeks.

For the most part I (speaking just for myself) can get along without various utilities and tools that monitor system specs and performance.

From time to time. full disclosure, I have tried various products/apps and end up with a sense of "that's nice/cool/pretty etc. but what is it really doing for me beyond consuming system resources....."

So my use of such things is to troubleshoot and diagnose. Not continuous monitoring.

However, to be fair, if you do continuously monitor then some parameter change is more likely to be noted.

And that could help resolve a problem.

No harm in keeping your options open. :)

sadly "AMD WattMan" isnt standalone product. Its in the driver itself and you cant disable it (sadly). Most of the people switching back to Nvidia cuz of this wattman nonsense.