Question Monitor Losing Signal Randomly But Computer Stays On

Nov 9, 2020
Hello all, I've been having some major issues with my monitor losing signal forcing me to reboot the computer to get the display back. During these problems, the computer remains powered on with the fans running normally. A little background: Windows 7 worked without any issues whatsoever on this computer, the problems only arose immediately after upgrading to Windows 10. I did not change any of my hardware at all between 7 and 10. If I try to watch any video online at 3840 x 2160 60hz, or if I try to play a game at that resolution, the monitor will disconnect within 2-3 minutes every time. At 30hz, it is slightly more stable, but it will usually still disconnect. This has even happened on a 1080p monitor, although the time to disconnect was a lot longer than usual.

I do not believe the GPU is at fault, I have tried my GPU in a buddy's PC and it ran flawlessly at 4k 60hz, I also tried his GPU in my PC on his monitor, and it disconnected within minutes.

There is unfortunately no BSOD, so no error codes, and I haven't really been able to tell if anything is coming up on Event Viewer. I have also tested my RAM, and it all checks out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers using DDU in safe mode, but nothing has worked. It also does not make a difference if my CPU is overclocked or running stock, the problem persist either way. At this point I am completely out of ideas on this.

Also, not sure if it means anything, but when I have to reboot the computer, it turns off immediately after pressing the power button, I don't have to press it and hold.

Any help that anyone could offer up would be GREATLY appreciated.

My Hardware:
Motherboard: EVGA Z77 FTW
CPU: i7-3770K
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB (x2)
PSU: EVGA 850W GQ
Monitor: 4K 60hz LG TV (connected HDMI-HDMI)

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you using?

Look in Reliability History - more user friendly than Event Viewer and the timeline format can be much more revealing.

Did you verify that the correct Windows 10 GPU drivers are installed? Download directly from the GPU manufacturer's website (no third party "tools") and do your own installation and configuration.

Have you tried other know working video cables?

Do you have another known working monitor that you can swap in? As I understand your post you did try your buddy's monitor but I am not sure about the methodology. To troubleshoot, only one thing at a time should be changed.

Nov 9, 2020
I am Windows 10 Home, version 20H2.

I have also checked Reliability History, most of the errors just say Windows was not shut down correctly, but there was a hardware error, LiveKernelEvent 1b8, but usually, it is just showing where Windows was not shut down properly.

As far as the GPU drivers, I am currently just running the most recent Nvidia drivers (457.30). I download and install them from Nvidia Geforce Experience.

I know for a fact that my friend's monitor and video cables are in good working order. We installed my GPU into his computer, and everything worked as it should, but when we put his GPU into my computer, his monitor disconnected, as mine does. When we swapped GPUs, we connected them to his monitor the same way I normally do, HDMI to HDMI. To clarify, we were also using his HDMI cable to connect to his monitor.