Monitor "No Signal" Even After Working Just Seconds Before

Astralmud

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I recently upgraded from a Asus VE278H to a VG278HE at the same time as I upgraded to a Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x. It worked fine for a day, albeit at 60 Hz. I wanted to run at 144 hz, so I tried to switch to the DVI-D Dual Link cord that came with the monitor. Afterward, I was greeted with the menacing message "DVI - No signal". I scowered the internet for solutions, compelting tasks such as doing clean installs of Graphic Drivers and cleaning out my registry. After much frustration, I decided to tackle it another time and switch back to HDMI. Unfortunately, as I did so, I was met with the infinitely more menacing message "HDMI - No Signal". I've made sure plugs were firmly in place for btoh DVI and HDMI, run 'Detect' in Screen Resolution, and there's not even a trace of it in my Device Manager. I know its not my GPU, because I'm typing this on my second monitor (which has now forcibly become my primary monitor) which is connected to the very same GPU.

I need help, guys. Did my monitor spontaneously break or something? I mean it still turns on, but that's about it.

EDIT: I think I'm pretty much insane by this point. I decided I just want a working monitor so I plug my old VE278H back in, and the single most menacing "No Signal" message attacks me. My old one wont work anymore either. Now, I swear it isn't my GPU's fault because my second monitor still works, and if I plug it into where I'm trying to plug my new one into, it still works just fine. My new monitor was working JUST TODAY on HDMI. I find it horribly hard to believe that both cable spontaneously stopped working, but I find it even harder to believe that both monitors spontaneously broke at the same time, too. Guys please.

EDIT 2: I plugged both into my laptop using HDMI (it doesn't have a DVI port) and they both worked fine as second monitors to that. Just to make sure, I tried booting up my main rig with them plugged in again and still no dice. I even did "Rigorous Display Detection" in the NVIDIA Control Panel and that didn't come up with anything, either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Weird one.

I don't know the exact specifications of your 970, many GPUs with twin DVIs will have a single D port and dual D port (Only dual D can do 144hz). Possibly your dilemma is confusing single/dual link DVI as there's no way in telling the difference phsyically as all pin holes are present. Have you tried your 144hz monitor in the port used for your secondary monitor?

If theres no change in switching DVI ports, would probably be worth getting in contact with Gigabyte. Their 970s had recent bios updates concerning memory, maybe concerning other matters as well. See what they have to say.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As for your mystery no signal, im guessing when the display setting was changed and had a blank screen when usually there'd be a confirmation message with two options, press ok if you can see the picture or wait for the timer to expire and it will return itself to the previous setting. If you happened to press enter during the count down, its possible the settings remained on that DVI port you adjusted on.

Reinstalling drivers should revert but not sure if you've done that already at this stage.