[SOLVED] Monitor no signal, fans to max, CPU still working

Dec 6, 2018
Please help me out!
I've been trying to understand what's causing this problem for a couple months now.
PC works fine for any task not involving GPU, but i get this problem on some (not all) games :
At some point while in the game, seemingly at random time, the monitor will turn black and give a "NO SIGNAL" warning, while the GPU fan goes at max speed, and stays this way untill i power it down with the power-button on the case. While this is happening, i can hear the sound of the game still going as if nothing happened ( i can also hear and talk through voice-chat ). A few seconds after the screen turns black i can also hear windows' sound notification of something being disconnected and reconnected right after (Could this be the GPU?).

Theese are the components :
MotherBoard : Asus sabertooth X79
CPU : Intel Core i7-4820K
RAM : G Skill F3-12800CL9 4GB (x2)
GPU : EVGA NVidia GTX 770
Power Supply : Cooler Master V850 850W 80 PLUS Gold

The OS is windows 10 64bit

At first i thought i had an overheating problem, so i dusted out the GPU and the CPU coolers, and kept an eye on the temperatures. The CPU never exceeds 45°C, and rarely goes up to 35°C anyway. The GPU instead goes up to 80°C when under heavier load (90% and up), and rests at 25°C on idle.
The temperatures seemed fine to me, but i tried gaming on lower settings anyway, and the problem occurred anyway (on some games, this reduced the frequency of the problem occuring).

I tried checking the RAM and it came out clean.

I also tried changing the PCI slot of the GPU and checked the power cables were not loose, no effect.

I ran some stress test for both CPU and GPU to check the behaviour under load, and all went fine, no black monitor and same temperatures as in demanding games.

I would really appreciate some help, i don't know what to do at this point!

Solution
test gpu in another system under load and if it hold the other option would be to look at board if the north or south bridge does not overheath .
Dec 6, 2018

The tests where for one component at a time, and i let them run for at least 5 minutes, is that enough?
No, i didn't change the cables, and sadly i don't have a spares... I'll get some ASAP

EDIT: Some games crash as early as title screen, or 1 or 2 minutes into the game, that's why i thought 5 minutes were enough.

Dec 6, 2018

Yes i tried at low, medium and high settings, and nothing changes.
On some games, (Es. League of Legends) on the lowest settings makes the problem really rare, but still there.
On most, no difference at all.

Dec 6, 2018

Ran the test for 10 minutes, here's result :

Values didn't change that much after 7 minutes in

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Stress tests should be done for at least 20 minutes, if not an hour. If those run well, it could be a broken driver or registry file - something games regularly access that a stress test might not care about. You could also run some game benchmarks if those are available to you.

Not that I'm dismissing motherboard issues, just that the testing so far hasn't been very thorough if 10 minutes is the most they've been run.

Dec 6, 2018
I couldn't try the GPU on another system yet, but i did try with another set of cables and the issue is still there while gaming.

This time i ran FurMark for 30 minutes, and all went fine when anti-aliasing was turned OFF, but the software crashed to desktop once started when i selected any type of anti-aliasing.
However, i tried using Unigine Valley Benchmark and unlike all other stress tests, i actually made the GPU "crash" just like in actual gaming as soon as 5 seconds into the benchmark, regardless of selected options...

What does this mean?