Monitor not displaying anything after logging in, startup errors

l33tmaan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Something strange happened about an hour ago. My computer froze while I was browsing the internet, and when I started it back up it wouldn't get back into Windows until I did a startup repair. So far, no problem.

However, now that the repair is done, whenever the windows animation finishes after booting... it goes into my password screen, and yet my monitor stops displaying anything. I type in my password and, sure enough, I hear myself logging in just fine. Yet, whenever I start in safe mode, I can login just fine. It doesn't seem like a hardware issue, and I'm rather stumped on what to do.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm currently posting from my computer, sans-safe mode. In an odd turn of events, I tried restarting the computer again, which prompted the startup repair... which couldn't fix my problems! So I try a system restore - no available dates to restore it to. Frustrated, but without any other options, I just restarted it again... and it worked. I can see everything just fine.
That being said, this is sort of worrying and I'm scared to turn my computer off again. Any help would still be very appreciated.

2ND EDIT: While I can still use the internet, it would appear that my desktop icons as well as the taskbar have vanished.

3RD EDIT: I tried to restart. Now it says a disk read error occurred and to press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart. One more failed startup repair later and it blue screened on restart with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.
This is just a mess.

l33tmaan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

• ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit
    SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W HDT90ZFBGRBOX Desktop Processor
    plus the Hitachi HDD I'm on right now

So, after much frustration, I just ended up reinstalling Windows 7 onto my Hitachi HDD. No amount of repair seemed to fix the issue. Everything seems to be working just fine now, so I'm guessing it has something to do with my SSD. However, it's only 4 years old, and to my knowledge, they're supposed to last longer than that, right? I hope it's the cables and not the drive, because sometimes the drive doesn't show up in my boot list, while all my others do.

l33tmaan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Alright, I'm not really sure how to check the smart data, but it says the SSD is at 75% health and "problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 3555 times. In case of of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible files(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems. More information: http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php"
"The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance. The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #202 Percentage Of The Rated Lifetime Used"

l33tmaan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

It would seem not. The warranty was only 3 years, meaning it expired last August. At least I could get a new one that's twice the size for the same price I paid 4 years ago, but I'd still rather not resort to that unless I have to.

l33tmaan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I just tried the error check, but it said I needed to format the drive first, but when I tried, it said it was unable to complete the format. I just tried the CHKDSK, but it says it's not available for RAW drives. I don't even know what RAW drives are.

ohh ok...seems like ur MBR has corrupted...changed from ntfs to raw....so u need to first change it back to ntfs...

please post a screenshot of ur disk management, after right clicking the target disk...so that the options are reflecting on the screenshot...

seems like...

> there is 323gb of wasted space on ur C dive...so ur need to use extend volume option on this drive to cover the unused space...
> and D drive is raw...so either u delete this volume first then extend it, or extend it and format it...u have to mark this partition as active...

ur disk is fine...lemme give u a quicker way to do this...

https://www.partitionwizard.com/