[SOLVED] Monitor not displaying output after sleep

samrich884

Prominent
Dec 16, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I'm running Windows 10 and a 1080ti graphics card with a mini display port to my monitor.

I think the pc went to sleep last night and since turning back it on this morning I have no signal going to the monitor.

I've tried:

Power cycling both the monitor and computer.
Switching to HDMI leads from both the graphics card and the motherboard.
Removing the graphics card completely.

I'm thinking it might be the Nvidia drivers but I cant access them as the monitor doesn't work. My next idea was to try booting in safe mode to see if i could get any sort of display to appear...

I'm not sure what the windows 10 safe mode boot up button is anymore as there seems to be 10 different variations on Google... But any combination I've tried has failed. Also I've tried starting the pc and turning it off quickly three times to try and force safe mode... with no luck. Of course any navigating menus to find safe mode is impossible as i cant see anything!

What should I try next?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED

I always like writing these closing posts as a big thank you to anyone who offered suggestions and snippets of advice. Hopefully I can pay it forward if anyone else having the same issues... although I'm no IT wizard myself.

I had a bit of time this afternoon so I went through a few steps again. Might be worth noting that the machine has been disconnected from any power source for the past few days.

The machine still wasn't displaying an image through any port, and was also stuck in a boot cycle which i've now discovered was a ram issue.

I took out the GPU. Took out the ram and refitted it - trying one stick first and then popping both sticks back in when it failed to boot.

It booted! and the screen was working through...

samrich884

Prominent
Dec 16, 2020
Another thing that I'm thinking:

Right now my operating system is set to output display at 1440p... so does this mean connecting my monitor through HDMI leads will result in no picture showing? I don't have any other outputs on my Motherboard besides DVI so unless I can change the output resolution then I might be totally stuck!

samrich884

Prominent
Dec 16, 2020
I think i just made it worse... I have an old hard drive that i plugged in to see if i could get anything to boot. I took out the ram to get to the SATA cable but had no luck with that planned. Reverted back to my current SSD and popped the ram back in.

Now the computer boots uo for about 10 seconds then powers down and continues to do this indefinitely. Still nothing showing on the display.

Have i now just bricked my PC?

samrich884

Prominent
Dec 16, 2020
SOLVED

I always like writing these closing posts as a big thank you to anyone who offered suggestions and snippets of advice. Hopefully I can pay it forward if anyone else having the same issues... although I'm no IT wizard myself.

I had a bit of time this afternoon so I went through a few steps again. Might be worth noting that the machine has been disconnected from any power source for the past few days.

The machine still wasn't displaying an image through any port, and was also stuck in a boot cycle which i've now discovered was a ram issue.

I took out the GPU. Took out the ram and refitted it - trying one stick first and then popping both sticks back in when it failed to boot.

It booted! and the screen was working through a HDMI port on the motherboard. I let it boot up fully and then shut it down via the start menu.

Hooked up the GPU again, and now the monitor is connected and functioning via the GPU and Mini DisplayPort cable. All works fine now!

No idea what i did different this time. Maybe with it being disconnected from the power for a few days... it reset something in the system? I'm not sure if ram can cause the monitor to fail for any reason?

Anyway hope this helps anyone having similar issues.

On a side note... I honestly thought this machine totally written off when it started failing to boot. Just dropped £1600 on a new 12700k ddr5 machine a couple of days ago and now i need to decide whether or not to cancel the order before they start putting it together!

Solution

Uberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hi samrich884 ,
I had a similar issue with a Dell monitor but oddly enough this only started happening shortly after I started using a second monitor or TV as it is. I love to see people that had issues coming back to the forum to explain the fix or even how you got on, too many do not do this so well done You.