[SOLVED] Monitor not receiving signal from GTX 1050 ?

Sep 13, 2021
Monitor stopped receiving signal from my GPU, but works fine on integrated graphics.

My specs are:
i3 6098p
GTX 1050 Ti Mini 4 GB
(Custom-built PC)

More info on the issue:
  • My monitor is blacked out when GPU is connected.
  • Monitor works fine on integrated graphics when I remove GPU.
  • I have to remove the GPU and work on integrated graphics to access the BIOS and then I can change the preferred graphics to internal graphics. Then if I connect the GPU and turn the system on, system works fine on the integrated graphics and I can see that my GPU is perfectly recognized in Device Manager and Task Manager. I just can't seem to use it somehow. I can't access Nvidia control panel since I'm on integrated graphics.
What to do?

Solution
So its not an external GPU, its a dedicated internal GPU

You should still be able to install the nvidia drivers & Experience when running off the iGPU . You can download them from Nvidia and then swap which GPU is primary in the BIOS afterwards. Some bios's don't let you keep both active but I do if its available since it makes troubleshooting a video issue easier.
Sep 13, 2021
How is the GPU connected to the system?
Please list the parts used as well as how its connected.
  • GPU is connected via the PCIe slot. It doesn't require the power pin (it is a Mini card with only one fan)
  • My other parts are an Adata 8 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 motherboard, Deepcool DE-480 PSU, WD 1 TB HDD

I'm sorry if I'm not providing enough details. I'm a newbie to all this. I built this system over 2 years ago. Was working fine until yesterday. Never had to deal with much hardware issues.

popatim

Titan

You should still be able to install the nvidia drivers & Experience when running off the iGPU . You can download them from Nvidia and then swap which GPU is primary in the BIOS afterwards. Some bios's don't let you keep both active but I do if its available since it makes troubleshooting a video issue easier.

Solution
Sep 13, 2021

I'm sorry. I thought dedicated GPUs were called external GPUs. I didn't know that you can actually connect GPUs externally. Thanks for that.

But about the issue, the system worked fine yesterday morning. The issue started when I turned it on again yesterday evening. So the drivers are already installed. But to make sure, I installed drivers again while I booted up the device on internal graphics. Didn't install Experience. Changed primary GPU in BIOS. Still didn't work.

Sep 13, 2021
Okay an update on this:

I think my GPU is working fine. GPU is connected. But primary option is set to integrated graphics in BIOS. So monitor receives signal as I mentioned in my first post. GPU is recognized in Device Manager and Task Manager. Not being used though.
Then I decided to run Novabench to check out the performance. If it's low, then surely the integrated graphics is being used, right?
But that's where the interesting stuff happened: Novabench shows my GPU as Intel HD Graphics 510 but when the test is being run, my GPU is being used and I'm getting high scores [please check the screenshot attached].
Novabench screenshot

So my GPU is being used while benchmarking but my display is using the integrated graphics? Is that possible?
[Currently my GPU is not connected in any way to my monitor, monitor is connected to the CPU via the default VGA port]

Update: FIFA 19 is working fine too. Clearly my GPU is working fine. What is going on?

Last edited: