[SOLVED] Monitor Power Adapter: Can I Use More Than 12v 2a?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
My friend gave me a very old LGflatron w1943te-pf monitor, and the back states: 12v 2.0a as you can see exactly on the screenshot provided at the back. It doesn't come with a power cord port and is only available through a power adapter much like laptop chargers.. Can you guide me on how to choose the right power adapter for this crappy monitor? The only thing i'm worried about is that I can't find the exact factory adapter for it and the exact spec also so enlighten me on how to choose the right adapter please.. without frying this old display. Sorry about my english.

JR8tZt4.jpg

I just wanna turn it into a TV since our TCL smart TV just died yesterday.

Solution
When replacing the psu, the voltage must be the same 12VDC. The amperage should be the same or greater. The type, size, and polarity of the output connector has to be the same. The most common is a barrel style connector with outside diameter of 5.5mm and inside diameter of either 2.5mm or 2.1mm. The polarity is usually positive at the center pin, although it is important for it to be the same as the original. Look at the power inlet on the monitor - the polarity might be indicated there. Can you take a picture of the power inlet on the monitor so we can get an idea what style it is?
When replacing the psu, the voltage must be the same 12VDC. The amperage should be the same or greater. The type, size, and polarity of the output connector has to be the same. The most common is a barrel style connector with outside diameter of 5.5mm and inside diameter of either 2.5mm or 2.1mm. The polarity is usually positive at the center pin, although it is important for it to be the same as the original. Look at the power inlet on the monitor - the polarity might be indicated there. Can you take a picture of the power inlet on the monitor so we can get an idea what style it is?

Last edited:
Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Thanks man, I'll let you know about the inlet. Forgot to take a pic of it. It's another one that bothers me that's why I'm looking for factory identical adapters.

Ok, as I suspected when I added my comment about gender, the PSU connector has the male pin within it and you can see the monitor’s power inlet has a female connector in the middle. There is no polarity indicated. We have a lot of displays where I work, but I couldn’t find any LG at first glance and I can try again Monday. Your best bet will be if someone here has the same monitor and can give you LG’s part number from the label on the PSU. Other possibilities include web listings for a PSU matching your monitor’s model number or trying to contact LG for the correct part number and then getting it from them or elsewhere on the web. If somehow through ebay listings (or similar) you can see the connector and the label on the PSU you might be able to get the polarity info you need and then even if it’s not a perfect match you might find a suitable substitute. And hopefully the listings show photos of the actual item so we get the correct info. If all else fails and you’re willing to take a chance we could do a broader search for “LG monitor psu” and hope they are consistent with their design across different models of monitors. So, let’s hit the web and see what we can dig up.

Ok, so the user manual lists 7 part numbers for compatible PSUs, so you have a lot to choose from. You just want to be sure it has this style connector on it and hopefully the seller you find is providing the correct information:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...u24-b120200-dsa-50w-12-lcap08f-_JM?quantity=1

It is a Lien Chang model LCAP07F and the polarity of the center pin is Positive.

Note that this is an example where the voltage is the same, but the amperage is higher. That is ok because when using PSUs with a higher amp rating the monitor only draws the amount of current it needs. Only voltage must be the same. It is now just a matter of finding a listing online that is convenient for you. See PDF page 23 (page A22) of the manual for the full list of PSU part numbers:

http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=KROWM000273160.pdf

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Ok, so the user manual lists 7 part numbers for compatible PSUs, so you have a lot to choose from. You just want to be sure it has this style connector on it and hopefully the seller you find is providing the correct information:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...u24-b120200-dsa-50w-12-lcap08f-_JM?quantity=1

It is a Lien Chang model LCAP07F and the polarity of the center pin is Positive.

Note that this is an example where the voltage is the same, but the amperage is higher. That is ok because when using PSUs with a higher amp rating the monitor only draws the amount of current it needs. Only voltage must be the same. It is now just a matter of finding a listing online that is convenient for you. See PDF page 23 (page A22) of the manual for the full list of PSU part numbers:

Thanks man, great help.

Also, you can help this guy. Looks like his monitor PSU died out and needing some recommendations of how to choose one correctly.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/monitor-power-supply.3552602/#post-21492751

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

cant find the exact adapter locally but i've had the exact spec through different brand.. can you confirm if it's compatible? i got the diameters right, the gender, volt, amp.

EDIT: And the polarity yey! I finally learned how to read one haha. Currently on its way for delivery.

9gfPUsy.jpg

lNQdxt6.jpg

Last edited: