Question Monitor randomly displayed just an orange screen but it's okay now after a reboot ?

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I was browsing the web on my desktop and my screen randomly turned orange.

It looked like this

I could hear my music playing in my headset so the desktop seemed to be running fine. I plugged the monitor into my laptop with a different cable and the monitor worked fine. Plugged it back into the desktop and got the orange screen again.

I did a hard reboot and now it works again.

Any ideas what happened? Has anyone seen this before? Is it a bad cable? Bad graphics card?

I was gifted this desktop so I don't know it's whole history. It's old and I already had to replace the bad RAM. The GeForce driver is up to date and the temps are normal.

Here's the specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz 43 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 801MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A (SOCKET 1150) 26 °C
Graphics
Sceptre E20 (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA) 38 °C
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST j

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
The problem with posting a spec list with speccy is that you don't get the make and model of your PSU, nor it's age. Include that info.

Apart from that, you should look into using DDU and removing all GPU drivers off your platform(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) and then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What BIOS version are you on?

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Thank you for your reply.
The problem with posting a spec list with speccy is that you don't get the make and model of your PSU, nor it's age. Include that info.
XFX TS 550
Model: XPS-550W-SEW
Total Power: 550 Watts
It's about 10 years old
Apart from that, you should look into using DDU and removing all GPU drivers off your platform(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) and then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What BIOS version are you on?
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2205, 2/12/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy

Last edited:

Latest posts