Question Monitor randomly goes black even though PC runs and functions normally

MJMStillanerd

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
Last August, I bought myself a new PC, but kept my previous computer's monitor since it was still functioning and didn't have any problems whatsoever. Then a couple months later, while I was online, the monitor suddenly went black. However, the power light was still on. Moreover, all the programs, sounds, etc. ran normally. I've discovered that if I shut my monitor off, then turn it back on again, the display returns as if nothing has happened. Then the monitor goes black again, sometimes after as little as two minutes or as long as hour. It's completely random.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what's causing this. It's definitely not the monitor cable cause that's the first thing I checked. Also, it seems to get worse whenever I've had the computer in sleep mode for long periods of time. I've heard that others have been having this problem recently, so I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 update issue or not. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what could be causing this and how to fix it, because it's getting really, really annoying. Thanks.

EDIT: One more thing, it happens more often when I first boot up my computer and don't allow the screen saver to come on. Once the screen saver turns on after five minutes and I exit it, the monitor stays up for considerably longer.

MJMStillanerd

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
Host Name: DESKTOP-E25Q069
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 00325-81759-61994-AAOEM
Original Install Date:
System Boot Time:
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Slim Desktop 290-p0xxx
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~3096 Mhz
BIOS Version: AMI F.43, 6/16/2020
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:
Total Physical Memory: 3,921 MB
Available Physical Memory: 880 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 6,225 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 2,560 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 3,665 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\DESKTOP-E25Q069
Hotfix(s): 6 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB4586876
[02]: KB4577266
[03]: KB4580325
[04]: KB4586864
[05]: KB4593175
[06]: KB4592438
Network Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter
Connection Name: Wi-Fi
[02]: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Connection Name: Ethernet
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server:
IP address(es)
[01]:
[02]:
[03]: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Connection Name: Bluetooth Network Connection
Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

The power supply is a 180 W SFF (Gold) 12 V Output

Also, within the last hour, I uninstalled the monitor driver so that it now reads in the Device Manager as "Generic PnP Monitor." It was, however, a Dell SE178WFP so yeah, pretty darn old. Thus far, haven't had any random monitor black out since doing that except once.

Last edited:

MJMStillanerd

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
Okay, I wanted to give an update since it's been awhile, but I've now tried to following:
*Updated all my drivers, including my graphics driver
*Updated to the latest version of Windows 10
*Ran Windows Update
*Ran a scan with MalwareBytes
*Double checked the monitor cables to see if they're faulty
*Changed my performance settings
*Changed my sleep settings
*Ran a sfc /scannow in Powershell

And guess what? None of these worked! The monitor is still randomly going black

Again, just a reminder:
*This is a brand new computer that I bought six months ago.
*The monitor that I'm using was from the previous PC and showed no problems whatsoever.
*I only started having this issue about two to three months after I bought my PC.
*The screen doesn't go randomly black until five minutes after I first open up a program, be it a web browser, word processor, game, etc.
*Depending on what's running, sometimes the screen doesn't go black for several hours--if at all--and other times it goes black after less than a minute.
*Even though the screen goes black, the computer still runs normally. There's still sound, I still move the mouse and still point and click (although, naturally, I can't see anything when this happens), and can still type, so the computer is not freezing.
If the screen goes black, I have to turn off the power button on the monitor, then turn it back on again for the display on screen to return.
*For whatever reason it only stops doing this when I've minimized everything until the desktop is on my screen.
*It doesn't show up as an error in the Event Logs

As far as can tell, this is some kind of Windows 10 bug that nobody seems to understand how to fix. At least not from I've been able to find out from browsing and searching various forums across the internet. I don't want to have to buy a new monitor if it's going to keep on doing this.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this and how to fix it? I am practically at my wits end and it's becoming increasingly annoying not being able to solve this.

Last edited: