[SOLVED] Monitor randomly goes black for a second then comes back on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2021
Hello, this is an issue I've been having with my monitor since November.

My monitor tends to go black for a second and come back on at random, and I'm not sure why. The monitor could be fine for weeks or days then happen. There's no specific pattern that I've noticed. It's been happening ever since I started using HDMI and DVI (I originally only used VGA).

At first I thought it was my PC's graphics card, but it also happens when my sister used the same monitor to play her PS4.

I have tried switching HDMI cables, switching to DVI, switching DVI cables (I even bought a new cable a week ago) and tried different systems (Two PCs and PS4).

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is this a sign that this monitor is on its way out? I did get this from my dad's job in 2019. I'm completely out of ideas. My monitor is an Asus ProArt PA249Q if that helps.

Solution
A littel late to the party.. But, If you have a nvidia gpu check your event viewer for: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. . It's not necessarily a physical issue but a driver issue. The driver will crash and recover. When this happens your screen will go black for a second or three and your confused by what just happened.

I had this happening with my 1070 and it eventually went away with a driver update. Then it was happening with my 3070 but it only happened with the Brave browser. All GPU stess tests it passed and it never failed when playing games.
Mar 27, 2021
Could the power cable also be loose? Its very strange that it will blank out on the PS4 as well
I've tried pushing it in more, but it's as far as it can go.
I did actually end up replacing the cable and the problem didn't happen and when I switched back to the original yesterday, it happened, so I'll stay on the new cable I have and see how it does.

Samduhman

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2016
A littel late to the party.. But, If you have a nvidia gpu check your event viewer for: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. . It's not necessarily a physical issue but a driver issue. The driver will crash and recover. When this happens your screen will go black for a second or three and your confused by what just happened.

I had this happening with my 1070 and it eventually went away with a driver update. Then it was happening with my 3070 but it only happened with the Brave browser. All GPU stess tests it passed and it never failed when playing games.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.