Question Monitor recommendations for a 2080 TI computer?

May 6, 2019
In the near future, I'm going to buy a PC built around the RTX 2080 TI GPU. It'll be used primarily for gaming. Needless to say, I'll need a new monitor to take advantage of the 2080 TI. Given the cost of the computer, I'd like to keep the monitor in the $600 range and would like advice on what characteristics to prioritize. I'd prefer a monitor 27" or larger. My first inclination was to go with a 4K monitor. While there are plenty below $600, all of these have a refresh rate of only 60 Hz. So, what's more important? 4K or a high refresh rate? (I assume QHD would be the logical alternative

Other questions:
1. How critical is it to have G-Synch? I've heard some Free Synch monitors are somewhat G-Synch compatible. Does this work out well? (I have noticed that G-Synch monitors cost more.)

2. What of ultra-wide and curved monitors? Is it worth it? (I have no prior experience with such monitors.) Does either feature work well with 27" screens or do those require 30+" screens? (I've noticed not as many G-Synch monitors in these categories.)

3. Anything I should try to avoid? Any brands that are notoriously unreliable?

4. Any recommendations on when to buy?

Toothless010

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
with a 2080 TI, you can now enjoy 4K resolution at +60 FPS. Playing Battlefield 5 4K/Ultra 70-100 FPS, but mostly 70-80 range.

I am currently gaming on a Dell 4K P2715Q 27 inch screen
dell monitor
You can tweak the ms to 4 if I remember.
If I was to do it again, thinner frames, and larger curved screen. I have triple monitor setup.

May 6, 2019
with a 2080 TI, you can now enjoy 4K resolution at +60 FPS. Playing Battlefield 5 4K/Ultra 70-100 FPS, but mostly 70-80 range.

I am currently gaming on a Dell 4K P2715Q 27 inch screen
dell monitor
You can tweak the ms to 4 if I remember.
If I was to do it again, thinner frames, and larger curved screen. I have triple monitor setup.

That's a 60 Hz monitor; does it negatively impact your gaming? (Though I suppose it depends on games played...) For myself, I beginning to consider curved ultrawides though those seem to top out at QHD resolution.

Toothless010

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
That's a 60 Hz monitor; does it negatively impact your gaming? (Though I suppose it depends on games played...) For myself, I beginning to consider curved ultrawides though those seem to top out at QHD resolution.
I have never noticed any impact on games using 60hz at 4K......Perfect game play with 2080 TI. Now I can play 4K with +100 FPS

Toothless010

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
Is it G-Sync compatible? Or is the issue of "tearing" overblown? Just curious; what games do you play?
I honestly could not tell you want tearing is. I have never seen this. Dont think my Dell monitor is G-Sync.
Here is my Battlefield 5 game play: 4K highest Ultra graphic setting
BF5 youtube
COD games, Borderlands games, Assassins Creed's, Fallout 3, Homefront revolution. Diablo 1 :) etc.
But with my new 2080 TI (April), just BF5 and Madden 19

May 6, 2019
I honestly could not tell you want tearing is. I have never seen this. Dont think my Dell monitor is G-Sync.
Here is my Battlefield 5 game play: 4K highest Ultra graphic setting
BF5 youtube
COD games, Borderlands games, Assassins Creed's, Fallout 3, Homefront revolution. Diablo 1 :) etc.
But with my new 2080 TI (April), just BF5 and Madden 19

Neat video! Stunning graphics with no distortion that I could see! I suppose a killer GPU can compensate for a relatively low monitor refresh rate? I'm wondering if the importance of G-Sync/Free Sync has been over inflated?