[SOLVED] Monitor recommendations for new Ryzen 7 3700x based PC with a RX5700XT graphics card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I've just bought a new gaming rig and I intend to use my old monitor until I figure out what new one I should purchase.

I really don't know anything about monitors. I understand you need one with a decent refresh rate(hertz) for gaming etc. I'll be using the PC for gaming but also for programming and using software such as Adobe After Effects, Photoshop etc.

I'm just wondering could anyone suggest a display that is highly regarded for my purposes? I think the RX5700XT can do up to 1440p gaming-wise so I don't think I need a 4K monitor.

My budget is flexible but I don't want to be spending a huge amount of money. I'd like a monitor that can be very bright though. Also would like its width to be 28 inches or greater.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I was wondering would getting a 27 inch monitor 1440p result in less aliasing in games due to the compact pixel density compared to getting say a 32 inch 1440p monitor?
I currently use an old monitor from 2008 that has 1080p resolution and I get significant aliasing in games like GTA5 which I find really annoying even after applying all of the necessary anti-aliasing options in the graphics menu of the game.
So, GTA5 is a 7 year old game....and it wasn't even that visually advanced when it launched. Keep that in mind.

There's also the option of using AMD's Virtual Super Resolution

https://www.sven.de/dpi/
MOST people have grown accustomed to the ~92ppi density of a 1080p 24" screen. If you show someone a screen...
I was wondering would getting a 27 inch monitor 1440p result in less aliasing in games due to the compact pixel density compared to getting say a 32 inch 1440p monitor?
I currently use an old monitor from 2008 that has 1080p resolution and I get significant aliasing in games like GTA5 which I find really annoying even after applying all of the necessary anti-aliasing options in the graphics menu of the game.
So, GTA5 is a 7 year old game....and it wasn't even that visually advanced when it launched. Keep that in mind.

MOST people have grown accustomed to the ~92ppi density of a 1080p 24" screen. If you show someone a screen with less pixel density than that (27" or 32" 1080p screen) you're going to get a subset of people (like myself) that don't find that acceptable. A 32" 1440p monitor matches that ~92ppi. A 27" 1440p screen would be slightly more "sharp" at 109ppi.

Many people think "I'll just get a 4k monitor then." Aside from the limitation that there aren't many 4k monitors with 120+Hz refresh rates yet, the big challenge with 4k is that it takes a lot of GPU horsepower to render that many pixels. Hence needing to spend more $$ on hardware through the lifetime of the monitor compared to 1440p. For non-gaming usage, that's not as big of an issue.

Last edited:
Solution

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019

MOST people have grown accustomed to the ~92ppi density of a 1080p 24" screen. If you show someone a screen with less pixel density than that (27" or 32" 1080p screen) you're going to get a subset of people (like myself) that don't find that acceptable. A 32" 1440p monitor matches that ~92ppi. A 27" 1440p screen would be slightly more "sharp" at 109ppi.

Many people think "I'll just get a 4k monitor then." Aside from the limitation that there aren't many 4k monitors with 120+Hz refresh rates yet, the big challenge with 4k is that it takes a lot of GPU horsepower to render that many pixels. Hence needing to spend more $$ on hardware through the lifetime of the monitor compared to 1440p. For non-gaming usage, that's not as big of an issue.
Originally when I started this thread I was using an AMD RX5700XT but I returned it a couple of weeks ago to get an RTX 2070 Super so I assume AMD's Virtual Super Resolution does not apply to me anymore?

I kind of like the idea of having a 27 inch monitor that would have a sharper image than a 32 inch monitor with 92ppi. I'm not sure though would I regret not getting a 32 inch monitor.

I think I've almost settled on a 27 inch monitor to purchase. It's the LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Ultrage...40p+ips+27+inch+monitor&qid=1596133039&sr=8-3

It's an IPS 27 inch 1440p monitor that has 1MS response time. It also has NVidia certified G-Sync so the monitor will work well with my RTX 2070 Super. The thing I'm trying to figure out at the moment is whether it has good brightness and contrast ratio. I'm still learning about these things as I go so I need to do some reading first before I purchase it.

Can I ask what you think about my choice? It seems to be a good deal. LG are reputable when it comes to TV's and monitors.