Monitor Refresh Rate Issues!

JulianPIisGR8

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Let's say I have a 1440p 60hz monitor. I am using a GTX 970 and I am getting above 60 fps at 1440p. What issues would this cause and what are the solutions? Would super sampling help? Does adaptive v-sync actually work? Any other solutions?

Thank You

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
it could cause some tearing and such any time you arent playing at the same frequency as you rmonitor or a multiple of its frequency (30,60,etc). some game have settings to set a max framerate. Super sampling wont help as its is a "make more pretty" option. vsync creates frame buffers (<--gonna get corrected on that) and keeps the game playing at 30 or 60 frames to get rid of tearing and such but it makes a big hit on performance.

Occasional frame tearing doesnt bother me though

JulianPIisGR8

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

How much tearing is this? And does v-sync actually work?

Pr3di

Honorable
Well it depends from one game to another.
For example, I found out that in BF4 the best option for me is to set the max FPS to 58 using a user.cfg, and keeping Vsync ON. This got rid of screen tearing, FPS drop and input lag for me.

Regarding adaprive Vsync, I had the same experience - some games feel better with it, other not so much.

JulianPIisGR8

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

In your opinion is it worth the risk of not running games well?

Pr3di

Honorable
Well, older games that already had most of the bugs sorted out should run just fine.
However, I`m not very sure I understand what exactly is your problem here.
What games are you having problems with?