Monitor resolution and PC

Solution
no, the active adapter is required, the simple cable might not work, the active adapter is what you need here

the cable if doesn't work and you buy it, you might be able to return it, but if you can't, it will be a extra cost not needed

if you are on a budget the secure bet is a hdmi to vga or a displayport to vga if your gpu has a displayport connector

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the 1080p is just a resolution, you can work at minimum 1024x600

from that resolution you can go up to 2160p or higher

some applications like autocad do need a bigger resolution than 1024x600 to show properly the toolbox, but even then you can use it

other than that you can work at whatever resolution the monitor you choose offers

the right quastion is do i need a 1080p monitor, or perhaps, do i have the right hardware to enjoy properly 1080p resolution?

Karim2001

Reputable
Jul 4, 2017
But i bought a computer and when i tried it on my 17 inch monitor it did not work so i called the guy that i bought the pc from he told me i need at least a 23 inch monitor so when i tried it with my uncle's 23 monitor it worked

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
he is trying to sell you that 23" monitor!

what pc you bought, what gpu, please tell us the specs of the 17" monitor to know what you got and why doesn't show signal

if the 17" monitor is very old and is vga only and your new pc doesn't have a vga port, you need a active adapter to convert hdmi to vga to use the old 17" monitor

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Converter-Ultrabook-Raspberry-Chromebook/dp/B00NBUTHJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500566542&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+vga&psc=1

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
what gtx 1050, iirc no gtx 1050 comes with vga ports anymore

i think you connected the monitor to the motherboard vga port, that one should be disabled when you have a gpu like the 1050

i think you need the adapter i mentioned

if you want a bigger monitor, buy it later, but the old pc you bought definitively can work with that monitor, after you buy and use the adapter mentioned, buy it, connect it to the gpu hdmi port, connect the vga cable to the adapter and enjoy your gaming pc

There are several flavors of DVI, some do support analog video. It is possible that while your monitor has a DVI port, it is only utilizing the Analog part of the cable. The DVI on your 1050 does NOT have the analog connections. You still need the active converter that Atljsf listed.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
again, the problem is not the size, you can work with a 10" monitor if you had one

the problem here is that your monitor is analog and uses vga, the new gpu does not have vga or any analog output to handle the old monitor

to keep using the old monitor you buy the active adapter or save some money and buy a monitor with hdmi input to avoid the adapter mentioned

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
no, the active adapter is required, the simple cable might not work, the active adapter is what you need here

the cable if doesn't work and you buy it, you might be able to return it, but if you can't, it will be a extra cost not needed

if you are on a budget the secure bet is a hdmi to vga or a displayport to vga if your gpu has a displayport connector

Solution