Question Monitor screen goes black, but power stays on ?

Jun 23, 2024
So recently I've started having this issue, where one of my monitors randomly goes blackscreen (it can happen while actively using it). The power will stay on, and restarting the monitor doesn't help. Eventually after 1-5min of the monitor being powered off, it will come on normally again when turned on. Usually it takes several hours or even days before it happens again. Anyone got an idea of what could be causing this? Is the monitor bricked?

Also, the other monitor works just fine and can be used while the other one is black screen.

The monitor is an Acer Nitro XV340CK P

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could be monitor issue, could be display port issue on GPU.

Try plugging the monitor into another display output port on GPU.
Trying 2nd monitor cable may help as well.

If nothing changes with the 2 troubleshooting steps, i'd contact Acer, explain them the issue and ask what might be wrong. Could be that monitor is on it's way out.
If it has warranty left, you could RMA it under warranty.

Reactions: Cerec
Jun 23, 2024
Yeah I tried changing the cables and switching up the output ports on the GPU, but the problem still persists. I don't have warrenty on my screen anymore but my insurance should cover it if it bricks, but might be hard to show what the issue is when it is so inconsistent

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but might be hard to show what the issue is when it is so inconsistent
Well, you could use the monitor until, at one point, it does not come on anymore at all. Then you know for sure it is toast.

Also, i don't think the issue would be with your GPU, since you have dual-monitor setup and if the issue would be with GPU, both monitors would loose the video input signal and not just one of them.

This would be good point to look towards new monitor.

There are tech repair shops that may find the fault and repair the panel for you, but diagnostics + shipping still costs money.
Still, if you're interested in that, then NorthridgeFix is one of the better/popular ones,
link: https://northridgefix.com/
(Shop owner Alex, has Youtube channel, showing repairs of electronics, that i find interesting to watch.)