Question Monitor screen keeps dimming and turning black

Jun 28, 2022
The monitor is a Samsung S27D390H

When I turn it on it keeps dimming then the screen goes black, If I keep turning it on and off again rarely the monitor stays on and it can stay on for hours but also can randomly turn off at any point, it always dims slightly then goes black about a second afterwards, also the power light is very dim

I took the back off and this is what it looks like when I turn it on, I also hear a faint click every time it flickers.

View: https://youtu.be/mipKCtn_TI8

Anyone know if I can fix this? Thanks

Jun 28, 2022
Are the power supply connections all fully and firmly in place?

Wall outlet to power brick. Power brick to the monitor power port?

Any power strips or surge protectors along the power path?

Nothing loose and wiggly?
All of those things are good, I turned the brightness down to 0 and it seems to have fixed it for the time being, weird, what would cause this?

Ralston18

Titan
Gremlins.... :)

Operative words being "for the time being".

Actually, my thought is that there is some combination of hardware, software, and configuration that simply, sooner or later, creates a "perfect storm" situation where the monitor fails to properly work.

Could be heat related. a balky switch, loose component on board, or some mix of all.

Turning the brightness down may in some way lessen the impact of a contributing factor.

Concern being that there could be further failure and 0 brightness will no longer work.

No warranty - correct? Even if so, opening up the monitor likely voided the warranty.

= = = =

It used to be that people could make adjustments, repairs, and so forth by tweaking variable resistors etc. in electronic devices. Not so much anymore....

And not recommended for most end users. There are risks involved - all the more so if power is on. So do not do that.

If the monitor is worth the time and effort and repair costs (TBD), consider a reputable repair shop. Ask around.