[SOLVED] Monitor showing no signal after reinstalling graphics card, now HDD LED isn't blinking

Dec 25, 2020
I recently got a new graphics card (Geforce GT 1030) for my computer. I tried to install it into my computer for the first time, but my monitor showed no signal. I checked multiple times that my computer met all of the requirements in order to run the card before buying. After multiple attempts to reseat the card, I eventually gave up and reinstalled my original graphics card (MSI AMD Radeon 240). However, the monitor still shows no signal when I turn on the computer. My onboard graphics have never worked either, so unfortunately I can't troubleshoot by booting up with onboard graphics. As far as I can tell without being able to look at the screen, everything looks and sounds normal, except for the HDD light not blinking. No signs of physical damage that I know of...

I have ruled out other cables, ports (hdmi vs vga and dvi, for example), and monitors as issues. I would test it on another computer, but I don't have one. Nothing will get my computer to display.

The only other thing I've tried is clearing the CMOS on my motherboard. In the past, I have found that my previous computer started to display fine after I cleared the CMOS. Sadly, this time it did not fix the graphics issue, and I'm now noticing that the hard drive LED doesn't blink. Unfortunately, I only noticed this after I cleared the CMOS, so I'm not entirely sure whether that was the cause, although I've heard that an unresponsive hard drive LED can be a symptom of bad CMOS.

Does anyone know how I can fix this and start getting my computer to display again?

Computer specifications:
Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0
single-rank 8gb ram
120gb SSD
AMD Athlon 220GE
EVGA 400W ATX power supply
Sceptre 1600x900 20" monitor @60hz

Edit: One thing I did that was probably very stupid was NOT uninstall the drivers from my previous card before putting in the new one. I did have to do a lot of digging to figure out that that was probably a huge mistake. Is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve needing to see the screen?

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you guys for the answers, I checked all of my hardware and connections, and it ended up revealing that pins on the I/O shield were sticking into the HDMI port for the onboard graphics (yikes). I was actually able to get a signal from my computer with onboard graphics after moving the pins out of the way, and after I performed a DDU on old drivers my new card is working great. It doesn't seem like any hardware was damaged either, I guess it must have been a problem with the drivers.

Not sure which reply to mark as best answer but both pieces of advice definitely helped solve the problem, even if indirectly. Thanks!

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi.

If you dont have visuals, I'm pretty sure your only methods available are through the hardware.

Usually, not uninstalling drivers is not recommended, but also not that bad. I'm not aware of specific conditions where it would just kill all outputs, but I think that's unlikely.

First, have you made sure the GPUs were plugged in correctly both times?

Have you also tried to re-seat the RAM, and do so in multiple configurations?

If you can get an error code from the motherboard, that might be of help. This is either through the power button LED or through a designated "Speaker" header on the motherboard, which needs to be connected to a motherboard speaker. Most older systems have them. Usual code for POST in a single, distinct beep. If you get a code, look up the error codes for your specific motherboard.

Are you sure your PSU is still alive? I accidentally killed a PSU once by plugging in a 6-pin connector upside down. Follow this video to check if the PSU is still alive :
View: https://youtu.be/aU18uPlETCM

If nothing happens and you can't get an error code, it might be that either the CPU, Mobo or both are dead. Chances of failure increase with the age of a system. For comparison, it's pretty impressive to see an average HDD live longer than 4 years with no issues.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
(with your original GPU)
If you have not already tried this I would disconnect every cable, monitor cables going to the GPU, power cable going to the power supply & reconnecting all of them. Make sure everything is seated properly & then power on the machine. It is likely when you originally installed your new card your pc didn't recognize the components & the result is no display. GPU should be installed first, then the PCIE connector, then your display cable to the GPU, then connect your power cord, power on the power supply, and then turn on the machine.

edit: if and when this works follow through by performing a DDU of your old drivers & installing your new drivers.

Dec 25, 2020
Thank you guys for the answers, I checked all of my hardware and connections, and it ended up revealing that pins on the I/O shield were sticking into the HDMI port for the onboard graphics (yikes). I was actually able to get a signal from my computer with onboard graphics after moving the pins out of the way, and after I performed a DDU on old drivers my new card is working great. It doesn't seem like any hardware was damaged either, I guess it must have been a problem with the drivers.

Not sure which reply to mark as best answer but both pieces of advice definitely helped solve the problem, even if indirectly. Thanks!

Reactions: M3rKn
Solution