[SOLVED] Monitor shut off backlight when all black pixels. What is the name of that feature ?

Mar 8, 2021
Hi all, I am looking to buy new monitors and I want a monitor that will shut off its backlight when all the pixels are black.
I am used to that on my old LG Flatron E2060 and I want to ensure the new monitors that I pick up also have that.

Basically, I am using a multi-monitor setup with a black background and whenever I have nothing displayed on one of the monitors (because not actively using it), it automatically dim
and close in about a second. The monitor is still powered on and physically on, but the backlight shut off until I move the mouse there or that there is at least 1 non-black pixel there.

I like it very much because a black screen with the backlight on is not pitch black.
Some monitors have energy saving features that kick in after x minutes. That's not really what I am looking for.
I really want the monitor to shut off its backlight whenever it has all black pixel.

How such as feature is called and do you know any kind of monitor that does that ?
I am not even sure what specific terminology such a feature would have so it make it difficult to find any monitor that match this.
Thank you.

Solution
Local dimming?

If you presented an all black image to a panel that supported local dimming it would run the backlight at its minimal output, or shut it off.

So you should seek monitors with lighting zones, dynamic lighting, and terms like that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Local dimming?

If you presented an all black image to a panel that supported local dimming it would run the backlight at its minimal output, or shut it off.

So you should seek monitors with lighting zones, dynamic lighting, and terms like that.

Reactions: itfranck
Solution
Mar 8, 2021
Local dimming?

I was a bit skeptic because my current extra monitor were cheap as hell but it look like "local dimming" can be implemented cheaply by dimming the whole screen without lighting zones.

I chatted quickly with a LG representative mentionning my good ol' Flatron and he further confirmed that stating:
The feature is called local dimming which is supported by most monitor models like 34WL60, 34WN750, 34WN80C
(These models might be a bit too big for extra monitors :sweatsmile: )

So yeah, I'll keep these terms in mind, while discarding some others (eg: Benq have "adaptative brightness", which is based on external sensor and room lights)(