Monitor stays in Power Saving mode

Grzegorz Goral

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
This is the 3rd time this has happened, the other 2 I solved it through trial and error and persistence. However, both times, it took my computer out of service for a full day- even the second time when I thought I had solved the problem somehow.

Basically, I always get this problem the following morning after I switch off the computer before going to sleep. The computer switches off normally, but in the morning the problem occurs and nothing will display on the monitor- it just flashes the LED to say it's on standby in power saving mode. I try disconnecting the hdmi cable and using the D-Sub. Tried different cables, different power supplies for the computer, different monitors, phoned PCWorld(where we got it from) and nothing could be done to solve it over the phone- tried the 30 second power button held down without the power from the supply. They had agreed to pick it up and solve the problem as this is a brand new PC but before the night was up(the computer had been disconnected entirely for half the day), I tried again and the computer came back randomly so there was no point in them collecting it. Second time the same thing happened, couldn't solve it at first, doing all I thought of, disconnected everything for half a day, did it all again and the thing that fixed it was changing from HDMI to Scart /D-Sub (it's the blue one with the 2 screws, not sure of its name) and it came back and magically the HDMI also worked after that. This 3rd time I've already tried the cable switch as it had solved it last time but nothing changes and it still shows a black screen for power saving mode as if it's not getting any signal to display on the screen. The problem there however is that it's not showing up No-Signal, connect a cable, it's just a black screen and nothing happens no matter how many times I turn it on.

The only thing I can point towards causing this is installing Ubuntu 14.04 as it has only happened after installing that - it had been working perfectly up to that point. I have no idea how to solve it or prevent it though as it happens randomly and comes back randomly. I don't want to ask PCWorld to collect it again if it's just going to be solved the first time they try to get it working as if there is no problem.

Please help me solve this, PCWorld would take about a week to return it if they solve it and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again as it's really annoying to lose the computer for a day at random.

PS: I forgot to mention this before but the computer originally came with Windows 8 and it's an Advent DT3415. It's dual booting Ubuntu and Win 8 so it always turns on to the Grub launcher(?? I think that's what they call it) and automatically starts Ubuntu if nothing is selected for 8 seconds. However, after the problem occurs and I try resetting it with the power-on button, the automatic selection stops.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If the video was working and you turned the PC on would it boot to windows or ubuntu (assuming there's no keyboard input)? I've seen some other threads of people experiencing VGA issues after installing ubuntu

Grzegorz Goral

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
Assuming no keyboard input, it would start into Ubuntu - although I would like to change that sometime as lately I've used the Windows 8 more for games. But I'm guessing I've reset it so it won't automatically do it anymore without keyboard input because if I turn it on using the power button, it now only needs me to just press the button again without holding down and it turns off instantly. So with this, I'm guessing I'll have to press enter to start up Ubuntu.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Assuming that the PC is booting up normally and the monitor simply isn't receiving any video signal; try powering the machine on and pressing the necessary keys that you would normally press to boot to windows instead of ubuntu and see if the video comes on. Basically what I'm getting at is you'll have to navigate through whatever boot menu you would normally see except without being able to see what you're doing on the monitor...

Grzegorz Goral

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I'm really confused now...I had disconnected power and HDMI until you suggested something I could do - now I reconnected it all and it starts without a problem, displaying the startup page so I was able to see it and actually select Windows.
Any suggestions on how I can prevent this from happening again and again?