Monitor suddenly goes black and back on during storm

HuskyJ

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I've been using my computer before and during a thunderstorm and the electricity has been running properly. After a while my monitor suddenly goes black and then back on. I turn off the automatic dimming of the monitor which was set to dim after 20 minutes. A little while later, not more than 5 minutes the monitor goes black and back on again, and once again 10 minutes after that. I reset my pc and made sure the auto dimming is off. Its been like 10 minutes since I did that, the storm hasn't left and the monitor hasn't behaved strangely since. The computer itself didn't turn off during this, it kept running normally. The black off was similar to that of the auto dim, the monitor itself didn't turn off.

Was this a simple issue of not enough current reaching the monitor? A bug in the auto dimming feature? Or could it be malware?

Using:

Windows 7
ViewSonic 14" RGB monitor

I don't remember what other components I was using but I can look for them if its necessary later on.

HuskyJ

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Its all connected by a power strip that based on what I've seen does protect against surges. It can stop working if not enough current is reaching it but it that didn't happen when the incident occurred.

As an update after resetting the PC I've been using it for about 1 hour without any weird black outs. The auto dimming is off and the storm is gone.