Question Monitor supports GSync but not FreeSync?

dor_13

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Monitor is "ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q".

Specs clearly talk about GSync support, but there is nothing about FreeSync.

Moreover, Tom's Hardware reviewed (Link) this monitor and it's written that there's FreeSync support.

What is going on?

It looks like it's a "G-Sync compatible" screen, meaning it's using DisplayPort adaptive sync, which is based off AMD's FreeSync tech. "G-Sync compatible" basically means that the adaptive sync implementation has been certified to meet certain standards defined by Nvidia, but the feature should work with AMD's cards as well.

Reactions: dor_13

dor_13

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I have a 2070S right now and I have zero complaints. They work great together.
2070S is a NVIDIA graphic's card, so it is expected to work well.
Issue is with FreeSync - which AMD graphic cards natively support.

Meaning: If I connect that monitor to a FreeSync-Only graphic card - would the FreeSync work well?

2070S is a NVIDIA graphic's card, so it is expected to work well.
Issue is with FreeSync - which AMD graphic cards natively support.

Meaning: If I connect that monitor to a FreeSync-Only graphic card - would the FreeSync work well?

Yes, I’m aware that Nvidia makes the 2070S.

But if the x570 platform with a 5000 series cpu and 6000 series gpu does gain a benefit as AMD claims, I may upgrade next year. Glad the monitor will work as nicely with AMD as it does with Nvidia.

Person268

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Monitor is "ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q".

Specs clearly talk about GSync support, but there is nothing about FreeSync.

Moreover, Tom's Hardware reviewed (Link) this monitor and it's written that there's FreeSync support.

What is going on?
Tom's hardware report states this: Oddly, it does not appear on AMD’s list and Asus makes no mention of FreeSync in their marketing. But our tests confirm that it is FreeSync compatible over both DisplayPort and HDMI.