Monitor turns off while playing Overwatch, DOOM 2016 or any other graphically intensive game.

Predator467

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Earlier I was playing Overwatch with a friend when suddenly my monitor turned off. My friend on Discord could still hear me and I could talk but he said I left the match I was in. I went on again multiple times and it would happen more especially if I alt tab. I went on CSGO and played a match of deathmatch perfectly fine being able to alt tab with no issue. Same for NieR: Automata and some other not as graphically intensive games. Later I booted up DOOM and the same thing happened when the monitor went black and I had to do a restart. I am thinking it is either the PSU or the GPU. I just got my 1070 not too long ago in an RMA from EVGA as my old 1070 had a Video TDR Failure. My power supply is the Corsair CX 750M and my GPU is the EVGA 1070 Superlocked. I am leaning towards the power supply especially as I hear a lot of negative things about the model I have however I am not completely sure what it is.

Solution
Only thing that reminds me to is an old monitor of mine that always went to standby if the image was to dark.

Since your graphics card is a factory overclocked model, you could try clocking it to the reference clocks and see if that solves the issues.

Dom_79

Distinguished
PSU. Be completely sure that you will be doing yourself a favor by replacing it.
I used to have a "slightly" better Corsair PSU (TX750M). I'm so very, very, very glad I got my EVGA 850 G2.

Even if that is not the issue right now, you will be saving yourself some problems down the line

Only thing that reminds me to is an old monitor of mine that always went to standby if the image was to dark.

Since your graphics card is a factory overclocked model, you could try clocking it to the reference clocks and see if that solves the issues.

Solution

Predator467

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Ended up calling EVGA and they said something about the overclocking on the card they sent in the RMA could have been wrong. I have it on debug mode currently which works fine until the replacement comes.

Dom_79

Distinguished
I guess I'm kind of glad to hear you got it sorted.

RMA of an RMA on basically the same GPU as me... and all the stories and articles about the units from back when I bought last year... not filled with EVGA confidence right now.

I hope your next one will work better. I would have thought that EVGA policy was to upgrade for the second RMA but maybe it's the third.