Question Monitor upgrade. A couple questions.

Hey all,

I'm highly considering upgrading my current monitor. I've recently got more into flight sims, so I'm looking for a larger screen. But trying to determine if the cost is actually worth it.

Currently using a Dell s2719dgf. It's a great monitor and I really do like it. For most games it works very well. But for flying I could use some more screen as there's a ton of stuff to display.

I've been looking at a couple, but would be open to further recommendations. Right now I've just been looking over the bestbuy website. It's close and I like the fact I could order and go pick it up. I dont necessarily have an issue shipping a monitor, but picking up is nice in case of issues/doa etc. But newegg, amazon, or any other seller would be fine. I'd like to keep the budget at or around the $400usd mark. This is one reason i haven't really been looking at ultrawide.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-3...sync-monitor-with-hdr/6375331.p?skuId=6375331

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/viewso...reesync-monitor-black/6241295.p?skuId=6241295

So the above 2 are the ones I'm currently eyeing. I'm leaning toward the Dell, as it has a ton more reviews. It's on sale for a solid price. Even off sale it's not bad. And it seems like it is very similar to my current monitor, only larger.

Here's where my questions begin. I know little about panel types and what is what. Both of the linked monitors are va and I believe my current one is also. Is ips or TN better? Is this something I should even be worrying about?

Response time. Current monitor is 1ms. The linked dell is 4 and viewsonic is 5. I'm only assuming lower is obviously better, but again is this a noticeable difference. Or something else I should really be concerned about.

HDR. The linked dell has it. Viewsonic does not. This is something else I dont really know what it does or if its something I should be looking for. Or what games actually support it. I'm sure my current sims don't (dcs and fsx) but I'm sure fs2020 probably will.

Is the linked dell a worthwhile upgrade? Anything better, but comparably priced? Should ultrawide be considered? And is it really worth the price premium?

My specs. I7-7700/16gb/rtx2080.

Still doing research but would love some input from some of you knowledgeable folks.

Small edit: still unsure what I will do with my current monitor. I may try to sell and recoup some cost. Its relatively new and in excellent shape, so should get a fair amount. I may also attempt dual monitor setup. That way I can have some monitoring apps open and such. But dont know if itll be too much stress on the system. The more power I dedicate to the game, the better, and I've never done a dual setup.

What about a 34" 21:9 aspect ratio ultra wide monitor?
I've certainly thought about them, but the prices were scaring me away. I've found a few within my budget. There's one aoc monitor on Amazon for 450, but its 1-2 months out on shipping. Seems to good to be true also, as on newegg and Walmart the same monitor is selling for 650 or more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZB2TNZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There's a few others for under 500. I'll get some links for them to ask some opinions.

Is the cost premium worth it for the ultrawide monitors? I do know they'll be tougher on my rig, kinda like the jump to 4k.

pokeman

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
I've certainly thought about them, but the prices were scaring me away. I've found a few within my budget. There's one aoc monitor on Amazon for 450, but its 1-2 months out on shipping. Seems to good to be true also, as on newegg and Walmart the same monitor is selling for 650 or more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZB2TNZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There's a few others for under 500. I'll get some links for them to ask some opinions.

Is the cost premium worth it for the ultrawide monitors? I do know they'll be tougher on my rig, kinda like the jump to 4k.
2,5 k (21/9 3440X1440) is a lot less pixels to push than 4k, so you dont have to upgrade the GPU so much to have good fps and they have come down in price. For a more panoramic simulator view/experience I'd go with that.

Starting to really think about this monitor, but dont know much about aoc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BMVNJZP/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Reviews seem solid except for one or two, which seem to be revised after a replacement. And its gsync which is nice.

Is this a good choice, or would there be a better option? Should I save up and buy a different brand? Is aoc a known/reputable brand?

This being a va panel vs my current tn should be better as far as color?

Would I even notice the difference in response time? 1ms vs 4ms? I'm guessing this is a negligible difference and basically unnoticeable unless you really know about displays?

The MSI looks solid also, but has some bad reviews mixed in. With brightness being a seemingly big deal.

Still largely debating ultrawide 34 vs standard 32. But ultrawide is starting to look better on all fronts except the wallet. Lol

I see GSync as a negative. That's going to lock you into Nvidia GPUs for the life of the monitor, whereas FreeSync/Gsync Compatible allows you to have an AMD or Nvidia GPU.
I currently have a 2080. Unless AMD actually starts competing in the high end gpu space, I dont see myself switching anytime soon. Will definitely say I'm interested in what the 5950xt or whatever it will be called will perform though. Competition is always a good thing!

My current monitor has freesync, and honestly other than seeing if it's gsync compatible(it is!) I've never left it on. I don't notice any issues without running it. So imo any adaptive sync technology is lost on me. Am I missing out? I have zero issues on any game I'm playing. And I play alot of games.

Some further research done. Some reviews, both consumer and written articles, and I THINK I've narrowed down my choices.

I've definitely decided on 3440x1440 ultrawide. 34"-35". These 2 fit the bill and check most boxes. Both have solid reviews. From here as well as displayninja.

The 35" is a gsync panel. $50 more than the 34. But still seems solid. Both are AOC, both have good warranties. They also seem very similar in size. 120hz vs 144hz, 1ms vs 4ms. Having a super hard time deciding!! Which of these would any of you choose??

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CU34G2X-...C6DMDNEV9F7C&refRID=ZDFBA5EAC6DMDNEV9F7C&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG352UCG...&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=georiot-us-default-20

Please help!

Just checked on Amazon again as I was planning the purchase for midweek. And it's now gone. Well not gone, out of stock. Says no longer available from seller. It said a day or so ago, more were coming, so I'll keep checking back. As I was pretty sold on that monitor. Its available elsewhere, but its 650 bucks.

Gonna keep checking back on Amazon. Will back order if possible.